Buying a car

Hello…I’m in the market for a new or used car. My budget is 10-15K. I would like a sedan type vehicle. I’m really stumped on what type of model/vehicle to shop for. Any suggestions?

The deals right now are better on new cars. Used car prices are on the high side due to demand being high and fewer cars being turned in on new car purchases.

A basic version of the Ford Fusion will come in at the top of your budget range. That would be my top choice at this time. Good quality, good ratings, good mileage, and nice roomy mid-sized car.

Toyota’s and Honda’s are both beyond your budget, but there are Kia and Hundai models available around 15K.

If you are looking for the best deals, I wouldn’t rule out GM and Chrysler. The dealers are in a pinch and need to move some cars. Malibu and Cobalt are decent cars, and some Pontiac’s are good too. I’m not that impressed with Chrysler’s cars but a deal is a deal. You may be able to get a new Chrysler model for closer to $11-12K.

Any new car from any manufacturer is going to give you pretty good service for the first 5 years. Now is the time to shop for the best price you can find. The selling days at the end of the month is when dealers and mfg’s are the most motivated to sell cars and offer the best deals.

Considering your budget I suggest a slightly used Toyota Corolla, say a 2007 or 2008 with 20-30,000 miles on it.

You just can’t beat a Corolla for long-term reliability and economy.

Other good choices would be the Honda Civic, the Mazda3 sedan.

You’ll get more for your money buying a used car. A new car depreciates significantly in the first year of ownership.

There are dozens of choices in the sedan market.

You could buy a new Chevy Cobalt LT1 in the middle of that range. You get a full new car warranty, guaranteed by GM and the US Government. GM and Chrysler both said that they will honor their warranties for all vehicles no matter what happens as long as they are in business. It appears that the safety net will ensure they are in business, at least through your 3 year warranty.

At least test drive a Cobalt to see if you want to put it on your list. Test drive a new Ford Focus, too.

I thought GM had the 5/100k bumper to bumper warranty, or was that just powertrain?
A Pontiac Cobalt, er G6 could probably be had for cheap, especially if the dealership is closing down. Perhaps a look at the Pontiac Vibe might interest you. You can fold the back seats and even the front passenger seat down. GM claims you can get a 50" LCD tv in the Vibe