Buying a 2011 Subaru outback fully loaded 139,000 miles or Honda crv 2010 56,000 miles - Help Choosing

That sounds more like an attitude than a real statement. I have driven ( Spark-Fiesta-Sonic-Rio ) and other small cars and did not have a problem and while the cars are small I am not.

I test drove a Honda fit and woke up the next morning with a back ache. I started out looking for smaller cars thinking they would be the cheapest brand new but the back pain is not worth it. It was completely uncomfortable for me.

That is a function of seat design. There are some expensive cars that have poor seats, and some small cars that have excellent seats.

You have to just try each one for yourself, as this tends to be subjective.

Go to the manufactures site, click ā€œFor ownersā€ or ā€œOwner resourcesā€ then ā€œVehicle recallsā€, enter the VIN.

http://recalls.owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls

Iā€™ve seen that, definitely. With most the smaller cars that Iā€™ve driven, the seats always hurt my back so I know going in that I need a larger one and what Iā€™ve found is that the mid sized sedans and mini suvs/crossovers seem to be more confortable for me. Weā€™re renting a chevy impala and that is extremely comfortable but the prices Iā€™ve found are more than I have in my budget but more importantly, Iā€™ve seen poor performance on most reviews of the older impalas. I started out looking for a new small car for good mpg and budget but here I am. Iā€™ve tried Nissan Sentra, Honda Fit, Chevy Geo Metro, Iā€™ve driven my momā€™s Nissan Altima, Nissan Sentra, and my last car (the one totaled in the accident) was a Chevy Cavalier which I drove for a long time. Iā€™m just taking it car by car but if tomorrowā€™s test drive with the Honda works out well, it sounds like it will be a good option for me. I want good quality that will last with normal maintenance and comfort for driving. If itā€™s top of the line, great, if itā€™s not expensive but good quality, great. I just want something solid. I had major car issues in the past and I want something reliable. Thanks again!

Thank you so much!

I disagree with the comment about CRVā€™s reliability issues over 100k. Iā€™d apply that more to the Subaru, from our experience with a Forester, and the questions we get asked on this forum.

Between the two choices, CRV gets my vote not only because of low miles but it is also reliable and comfortable to drive.

my dadā€™s 2007 Honda CRV has been totally reliable (as you expect from a Honda) but also has the driving position and seat that works well for his bad back.

Not everybody has the same bad back

I have scoliosis, but I donā€™t yet need the lumbar support on my car, or on other vehicles which I drive at work

But I know other guys with bad backs, they DO need and use the lumbar support

The Subaru has already lasted a long time. I would not pay much for a used car with 140K miles and hope to get a lot of good service out of it.

The Honda if well maintained, should be more reliable. But having had a 2011 CRV I could tell you they are not particularly quiet or comfy, My Camry is much more comfortable.

If you want a used small CUV, look at RAV4, Tucson, Sportage IMHO.

I use a lumbar support too, but not the adjustable one built into the seat. They hit too high, near the kidneys and no where near the actual lumbar region. I use an aftermarket lumbar support.

Both the Honda and Subaru you mention above have very low rates of customer complaints at CarComplaints.com. To me, the choice is simple, based on mileage. Get the Honda. Any car with 139K miles is near the end of its life. A Honda CR-V with 56K is in the prime of its life by comparison. Having owned a couple Outbacks, I can tell you mine were pretty beat well before 139K. I will hold off on commenting on the Traverse having not owned one, but I agree with your feelings after the test ride. The ones I have driven were not as involving as the CR-Vs I have driven.

Actually, I donā€™t use lumbar support of any kind, built-in or aftermarket

My bad back is bent in such a way that using the built-in lumbar support actually makes things WORSE :frowning:

Thank you so much everyone for all of the help! I found a 2004 Lexus Rx330 that I bought from a private seller and it was checked over by my mechanic who said it was kept in immaculate condition so I bought it! He kept up all the recommended maintenance (in the car fax) and itā€™s perfect for my family! Way cheaper than what I found at the dealers. Thank you everyone! God bless you all for helping me with the great information. Many of you brought up things that didnā€™t occur to me and one of the biggest was the check by my mechanic. (He did it for free!!!)

1 Like

Congratulations on your Lexus! And thatā€™s fantastic that your mechanic checked it for free! Make sure you continue to patronize him and spread the good news about him :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Re the Subaru, a vehicle that new with that many miles probably has been used for mostly freeway driving. That being the case, freeway driving is much less stressful to the drive train than city driving is. Thereā€™s a good chance the drive train is in pretty good shape considering the miles. I talked to a mechanic once that bought a used Datsun (remember them?) station wagon. It was 2 years old and had over 200,000 miles on it. The previous owner was a salesman with a multi-state territory. He drove his route (I assume he carried samples with him). The person who bought it took the engine out and put it straight into his race car. He said he had no problems with it.

Congratulations!

The RX330 was loosely based on the Camry platform, and uses some of the same mechanicals

However, that engine uses a timing belt AND it is an interference engine. Meaning if the timing belt snaps, thereā€™s a fair chance of engine damage

If there are no records indicating recent replacement, Iā€™d do it now, along with the water pump, cam and crank seals, tensioner and idler pulleys

Good advice here from @db4690. I own an '07 Highlander 3.3, sort of the RX330s less refined cousin. I did the timing belt package early at about 80K. Be prepared for wheel bearings and brake calipers (and rotors). Mine also used up an alternator and trans cooler (tow package item). That 3.3 is still as smooth as new now with 90K. Great buy.

1 Like