Buying a 1954 Sunbeam Talbot MK IIA convertible

I want a classic fun convertible that isn’t shoe size or boat size but somewhere in the middle.
Do I want to buy a 1954 Sunbeam Talbot? The price is 20k firm. How hard or easy is it to get parts, work on, reliable? All I’ve seen are pictures, which of course look good.

Thanks
bugfeet2460

I’ve seen them during car shows – cool looking car but, from what I understand, they are not the easiest cars to work on or get parts for.
You may want to ask this question in aaca.org forum. There’s no doubt someone there that can point you to a club or group dedicated to this car.

I just did a Google and there are quite a few Subeam clubs. I’m sure they’ll be more help than I could be.

This place, in Denver, works on these cars…

http://classicinvest.com/

Most enthusiasts have two…The driver and the parts car…

So few of these cars were made, any parts you may need will have to be made from scratch…

These cars tend to become furniture, not daily drivers. They travel on trailers, enclosed trailers…

How about a nice 60-ish CarmenGhia instead? They have coolness factor, are easy to work on and there are all sorts of parts available for it?
If cared for, they are perfectly drivable anywhere. No trailers required.

This car was immortalized by the little Philip Morris guy in his bell boy unifrom. Even in the late 50s this car was hard to service and get parts for. It really belongs in a museum, unless you are prepared to spend a small fortune keeping it running.

You cant go wrong with a 60’s Mustang or Camaro, but if your a wine drinker (as opposed to beer drinker) a Jag E-Type or such may be up you ally and is still supported by the aftermarket.

That’s an EXTREMELY rare car, and if you have to ask about parts and maintenance it’s probably a bad idea. So you want an interesting 4-seater convertible - how about a '60s Mercedes?

I believe another event that immortilized this car was Grace Kelly (later Pricess Grace of Monaco) driving it in Southern France (Riviera) in the movie “To Catch a Thief” Cary Grant starred in it as well.

The parts issue is the one that could be the fly in the ointment. Some mechanical ingenuity can get you around many mechanical problems but when it comes to body and trim parts that could be a problem if that need arises.

I gather from your post that you’re looking for something to tool around regularly with in nice weather and my vote would be for something more common, cheaper, and easier to service and locate parts for.
An MGB or Triumph TR6 could be an option and can be had for much less than 20 grand. They’re also easy to service and parts are readily available.

If you want a Sunbeam you might consider the Alpine, not the Alpine Tiger. The Tiger is beaucoup money.
I had an Alpine with the 4 cylinder and it was a British Green ton o’fun. Wished I still had it. :frowning:

Yes, OK; the Tiger had a Ford V8 shoehorned into the engine compartment, and was extremely difficult to service. The rear spark plugs almost impossible to reach.

A friend of my wife had an Alpine, it was civilized with roll up windows and and an easy to put up top. The MG at that time was outright primitive with its drafty side curtains.