Buy 2010 RX 350 with 33k or 68k miles?

We are looking to buy a used 2010 rx350 and most of returned from lease have around 30-40k mileage but cost 31-34k and we found 1 that have 68k with miles but it is for 26k and coming as certified pre-owned with 3k 100k warranty.
If we want to keep the car for at least 10 years, Is it worth saving 6-7k now and use later for maintenance of car or buy a low mileage that may last little longer?

Thanks
–rubs

My rule for checking out a used car is to put a piece of tape over the odometer and over the nameplate. The most important issue in purchasing a used car is the condition. Pay a good mechanic to evaluate the cars. A car that has been well maintained with 68,000 miles may be better car than one with 30,000 miles but has been abused.

That is the similar principle we used over the years, there are not many private sellers of these cars and both of these cars are from dealer as pre-certified and both are serviced by lexus dealer and all the records are available and looks good.

The mileage is not as important to me as the regularity of the oil changes. What I recommend looking at is how many miles elapsed between oil changes. Going 10k miles between oil changes on a car which has seen mostly short hop driving is generally bad for an engine.

Take the word “certified” with a grain of salt also. Many times that word is nothing more than a sales tool (much like Carfax) to promote a warm, fuzzy feeling that everything is fine.

If the dealer said their mechanics have gone over the car pre-sale with a fine tooth comb then ask to see a copy of the repair order. Mechanics work on flat rate even with vehicle inspections. If they can’t or won’t produce a repair order to back the inspection up then you should assume that it hasn’t been done.

I love buying good, well maintained vehicles with high mileage. They tend to be much cheaper and just as reliable as their low mileage, high priced brothers and sisters. I bought a 2004 Sienna in 2008 with 73,000 miles for $12,500 when similar 04 Sienna’s with 36,000 to 42,000 miles were selling for $18,000 or more. My Sienna has 157,000 miles now and has been super reliable. Don’t let high mileage scare you.

The car had regular oil changes and also all the maintenance was done by the lexus dealer. it have visual wear and tear on leather seats etc. Dealer replaced the 4 new tires and they have report of all the other components. We always bought from private party before so not sure if it is good idea to buy from dealer but looks like car is in good shape and there are very few buyers for this car at high mileage and most of people prefer <40k miles and we also do same but now it is question of should we save 6-7k on this car and use that money for future maintenance. Our Camry was very reliable car and not sure if RX is also as reliable.

The RX is very reliable, shares a lot with the Highlander and Venza (and, more distantly, with the Camry). Individual cars vary, of course, that’s where maintenance comes in.

buy the 26K vehicle, if all else checks out equal/comparable. your savings will likely put you ahead in many ways.

Well, the 3 yr warranty will be long gone before u hit 100k miles. Now if warranty was 100k with no years caveat than that would be different.

Well, the 3 yr warranty will be long gone before u hit 100k miles. Now if warranty was 100k with no years caveat than that would be different.

How did you determine that?? I didn’t see the OP mention how many miles he/she drives annually. Based on MY personal experience…I reach tend to reach 100k miles at about 2.5 years.

we would be doing about 10-12k per year so it would be almost ~2.9 years

30k for used or 40k for new? Both will have 3yr warranty. So after 3yrs, both have no warranty?

I look at truecar.com and the base Lexus RX 350 FWD could be had for ~$36K brand new. YOu might even get a better financing deal if paying new. I would not pay that much for a 4 year old one.

In NEW England we would need AWD and with all the navigation etc it would not be less than 45k and moreover we have to pay higher city tax on new car.

Are these Lexus CPO vehicles, or dealer warrantied? I would guess the low mileage visions are Lexus certified, but the high mileage SUV doesn’t fit the profile. You can look at the Lexus CPO checklist on line, but you have to ask the dealer what theirs consists of if the high mileage SUV ls dealer certified. You should also ask to see the dealer list if it is dealer CPO. Tell them it is a deal breaker. A delay CPO can be acceptable if you trust them and expect the to be in business for the life of the warranty.

Also, both prices could be reasonable. If the lower priced RX350 has few options and the higher priced one is loaded, a price difference of $5000 is not at all out of line when you include $1700 off for high mileage. More information is needed.

In NEW England we would need AWD and with all the navigation etc it would not be less than 45k and moreover we have to pay higher city tax on new car.

Unless you do a lot of driving to the White Mountains…there’s no need for AWD.

It is Lexus certified, they certify up to 70k. 68K mileage includes the luxury, comfort and navigation.

Kelly Blue Book says its worth $30,518. The asking price is attractive. It makes me wonder what might be wrong with it, but maybe they just can’t sell it. Ask if they’ll t are $25,000 and say you’ll buy it if they will. Be prepared to buy right then and thee, though. I vote for the high mileage RX.

68k model hands down for that discount and nicities like AWD and navigation you want.

You probably dump the vehicle long before the 68k is a factor.

I did a similar thing purchasing a 4 year old Acura MDX for $21k with Nav/Tech package for 82k. No regrets and now have 108k miles of trouble miles except for $7 AC relay failing and $100 belt tensioner failed too. Not too shabby.