But I trust my mechanic......?

Ok, I have a 2006 Kia with almost 150, 000 miles (I commute about 90m/day). I have had regular maintenance and some pricey repairs (nothing too major) always with the same mechanic. A few weeks ago I took my car in after the RPM gauge sensor went out. The engine was driving as good as ever (sluggish at times, but she’s old).
They did my oil change while she was in and called and asked if I’d had problems with overheating or leaking from the radiator. No. Never. Not once has she over heated on me and we live in South Carolina. They told me it looked like there was “stop leak” in the radiator and did I want them to do a pressure test. I asked to wait until next time if possible, but if there was stop leak, they would know because no one else works on my car. So, picked it up Friday evening drove the five miles home and parked it and didn’t drive it all weekend. Monday morning headed to work.
I work about 43 miles from home. I got almost to work and started hearing an odd knocking sound then my oil light came on, then the engine light and it died on me. At that point, I noticed the temperature gauge was up just above half way. I was able to start it to pull over into a parking lot, but by then there was steam pouring out the engine. I popped the hood and the radiator cap was off (sort of resting in place) and there was murky water all over the engine. So, I called my mechanic. He sent a tow truck.
On my dad’s advice, I took pictures of the cap since it wasn’t on. I told my mechanic that I’ve never had problems with it over heating and that the cap wasn’t on. So, he ate the cost of the tow and checked it out said I didn’t have a cracked head per some carbon test and flushed the radiator for free. I offered to pay for materials for that. He said it was their doing and it was on him. See. I trust him.
I picked it up on Wednesday. It didn’t quite want to start so I called him. He said he was thinking the timing chain was off could I bring it back in. I brought it back to him on Friday. It has now been TWO WEEKS and he now says he THINKS I have a cracked head between two cylinders.
My dad- who is a retired engineer from the steel mills, but lives a couple thousand miles away- says this is my mechanics fault and he needs to fix it. I don’t really have the $1200.00 plus to spend but my mechanic is willing to “account” me the cost and let me make payments.
So, the question is, do I need to fight this and if so, how?
Or do I trust my mechanic? Really

" I got almost to work and started hearing an odd knocking sound then my oil light came on"

That is when you should have stopped. Either the sound or the light should have caused you to head for the side of the road as soon as it was safe to do so. I would say it was your fault not the mechanics unless he told you to drive it with the light on.

You don’t drive to the next exit or what ever unless you don’t really care what happens to your car.

I didn’t drive with the light on. It came on and the car died. It happened pretty quickly while I was stopped at a light.

I did drive with the noise for about a mile- I was in traffic and wasn’t even certain if it was my car or another person who had valves tapping. So, it wasn’t lack of caring it was not knowing.

My question is could the car overheating from the cap not being put on correctly have caused the cracked head?

Read 5th & 7th paragraphs in:

What Causes Cylinder Head Cracking?

Thank you.

So, now do I follow my dad’s advice and “fight” the mechanic? If the car overheated because they didn’t put the cap on- and he has taken responsibility for that then does that mean the head cracking should be covered by them.

Should I ask him to split the cost with me or should I just find a new mechanicn entirely?

I don’t mean to sound like an stupid girl here, I just need some other opinions.

outofcontext7 — 7:35AM I don’t really have the $1200.00 plus to spend but my mechanic is willing to “account” me the cost and let me make payments.

Should I ask him to split the cost with me or should I just find a new mechanic entirely?

What does "account" mean? I'd offer to split the cost with him and take it from there. Others may have different opinions.

Essentiall he said they will let me make payments.