Burning smell

My dad owns a 2001 Mazda B3000 4x4 extended cab pickup. Recently after getting a rear brake job at a local chain, he noticed a burning smell coming from the rear right tire. Taking the tire off, he noticed that he could not turn it. We are completely frustrated as the service center has now had the truck back 3 times and can not solve the problem. We think it is damage to the ABS sensor caused during the brake job, but if there is only one in the rear, why would the left wheel turn and the right not turn??

It isn’t the ABS sensor. Your dad’s B3000 has rear drum brakes, and one is either victum of a stuck brake cylinder, a misadjusted brake, or perhaps a misadjusted parking brake cable.

Sadly, you apparently need to go elsewhere to get this corrected. It may need a new drum, new shoes, and a maybe new caliper, as well as the parking brake adjusted. If it were me I’d then go back to the shop that did the brake job and demand reimbursement for having their bad work fixed.

One thing that can prevent the brake shoes from disengaging the brake drum is if there’s a burr worn on the backing plate. The backing plate has bosses stamped into it where the brake shoes ride. If a burr has worn onto one of these bosses, the brake shoe hooks on it when the brakes are applied, and then doesn’t release.

This is probably the most overlooked precedure when brake shoes are replaced. Take a whizzy wheel and clean the bosses to make sure there are no burrs, then apply a little brake grease to the bosses so the shoes move freely and don’t squeak.

Tester