Building an Emergency Breakdown Kit

Actually before he chose another line of work, the guy I used to tow me a number of times, said he was refusing to respond to freeway calls. He said it was just getting too dangerous

1 Like

Today I see that light bulb is priced at $6.99. Wasn’t it $4.88 yesterday? hmmm … inflation may become a bit of a problem, eh?

Back in the old days, inflation increased because people were frantic to buy things before the price went up again. Just like a stock out at the store. Want a rush on paper products, just have an empty shelf sometime. Want a rush on a bank, talk about maybe limits on withdrawals or worse.

I recall a television consumer-help guru in the early 70’s. He’d appear on all the late night talks shows. He’d say one of the best financial investments middle class families could make (at the time, when inflation was double digits) was to buy a case or two of tuna fish next shopping trip, and put it under the bed. (I wish I’d bought a couple of those flashlights yesterday … lol!!!)

Yeah I like flashlights a whole lot more than tuna fish.

We resumed our monthly gatherings and we were discussing who worked at the canning factory back when. Lots of people would hire on for either the corn or the pea pack to make a couple hundred extra dollars. When it was all done though you could go down there and buy either a case of peas or corn for a $1.25 or $1.00. Unlabeled. 24 cans to the case. As many as you wanted, You’d write on the cans “P” or “C” so you knew what was in there. 'Spose about 1959. The rule was never eat creamed corn from those that worked there.

1 Like

If she lives in winter areas a blanket and a candle in a jar were suggestions from GFAFB, North Dakota! Believe it or not a candle offers light and warmth!

1 Like

With tire pressure warning systems you have ample time to pull off the highway into a nice safe place to check pressure and maybe add air or change the tire before it is completely flat. It goes off at a 5 psi drop. As long as the driver responds to the warning when it happens, it is resolvable in a safe manner. I’ve had 2 of these occurrences in the last 2 months with TPMS systems. Both times I realized the leak was minor and drove home to fix the problem.

Blowouts generally don’t occur unless the tire has been run underinflated for a long time. A rapid deflation can happen with a big puncture to the tire (I’ve had one in decades of driving…on a car) so I’d agree, driving on the rim is a solution.

I probably see 2 or 3 idiots a month changing their tire with their car halfway in the lane of travel,

I guess they figure that rim they’re saving is worth more than their life.

Hell…I won’t do that. Had a flat on I-495 about 20 years ago and I drove 1/2 mile to the exit to change the tire. No way was I going to stop on that road during rushhour.

+1
Highways can be extremely dangerous places for anyone standing outside a vehicle.
Just a few days ago, two PA State Troopers were hit and killed by a DUI driver while trying to help someone, and their vehicles were lit-up with modern warning lights. Someone squatting on the shoulder (who may or may not have activated their four-way flashers) to change a tire is likely to be in even more danger than those troopers were.

1 Like

Another Vote for the AAA Membership! $89.00 per year. Emergency tow, gas, tire change and yes, a viable effective weapon acceptable to the laws of your state.
I prefer pepper spray. A small sold steel bar she can use to break a window if she finds her car in water–a lesson on what to do in this emergency is highly important. Check you MythBusters episodes on YouTube. They had a special on it.

If OP concurs that AAA membership is the best solution, is there any need for a breakdown kit?

Yes , George there is. In certain times or bad weather it can take a while for any Roadside Service to get to someone .

2 Likes

The problem with AAA is availability. Some remote areas the closest AAA tow company is over 100 miles away. And if there’s a disaster where many people are affected then it could take DAYS before he’s available. We’re not very remote here in Southern NH.

The better solution is to have a tow rider on your insurance. I get the same towing benefits from AAA, but I can use ANY tow service. I pay with my credit card and then submit claim to insurance company (State Farm). It’s also 1/3rd the price of AAA. I’ve had it since we started having kids almost 30 years ago. We’ve used it twice since then. Never a hassle.

2 Likes

That’s also a benefit with my Geico insurance. Having never lived in a rural area, I’ve not had issue with mileage on tows. Though it’s been many years (probably decades) since my inquiry, I was under the impression that, should they not have a truck available, they would petition a non-AAA company and pay them accordingly.
As stated, this would need further investigation.
Thank you for your input.

That’s also a benefit with my Geico insurance. Having never lived in a rural area, I’ve not had issue with mileage on tows. Though it’s been many years (probably decades) since my inquiry, I was under the impression that, should they not have a truck available, they would petition a non-AAA company and pay them accordingly.
As stated, this would need further investigation.
Thank you for your input.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. And even that may be limited.

I understand some gas cards offer the service as well. Having not used my AAA for about 15 years, I don’t have any viable, more recent experience. At my current age, there are no plans for long-driving trips. Most of my driving is well within the 100-mile parameters. Living in Colorado, everything (affordable) on my bucket list is nearby.

Like I have said before, I have both towing on my insurance and a motor club. One reason I like the motor club is it gives me one number to call and they find the service for me. Now I know State Farms seems to have the same service but have heard they don’t always respond very quickly. I think I pay about $4 for insurance towing every 6 months so its not a big deal. The motor club is $26 every three months. Once in a while I will get a reimbursement from SF for service done. If you are in the middle of nowhere though, it’s nice to just have one number to call. Nothing against AAA, I used to work there, but they tend to be more expensive, and each state has their own club, and the results may vary.

Have aarp roadside, forget who it is run by, had a nail in my sidewall night before a vacation trip, and needed spare put on, figured I am paying for the service let them do it. Some retired guy in a caravan with tools showed up and did the job. Fine by me! Maybe a 20 or 30 minute wait, no problem as the car was in my drive and not leaving till the am. Took him a bit as he had to fight with the tire lowering devise with stripped plastic gears. Glad it was not me. Kind of a one use maybe and done device. Drove the next 5 years without a spare, over $200 to replace the wheel raise and lower mechanism.