Buick Ends Their USA Car Line

Were there product placements back then?

RIP, Buick sedans. I enjoyed my 1998 Buick Regal LS for 7 years, then gave it to my daughters to drive for another 7 years. It was reliable, comfortable, and fuel efficient for the era. A good commuter and family car when the van was unavailable.

I seem to remember where they were in a ford showroom with a ford retractable hard top convertible,

Not me, probably. If automakers are relying on me making new car purchases every 2-5 years, they’re already out of luck :joy:. So what I think is pretty irrelevant. I don’t think they care much about us 200k mile/reliability buff kinds. They’re more interested in the heated steering wheel/massaging seats/how many frills can you pack in the cab vs how much do you want your payment to be crowd.

1 Like

Yes, but with even worse gas mileage than most of today’s half ton trucks! I remember my dad’s body on frame 73 caprice with the 454 big block. It would probably tow a load of logs to the mill. Lol

Ooooh. In school, the kid across the hall had a white 57 Ford retractable. I really liked that car. One snowy night we were heading to a dance and he didn’t stop fast enough and plowed right into a car in front of him. Pretty solid car, just headlight and fender but I thought what a shame. Pay attention to your driving if you have a car like that.

1 Like

The 1973 Impala with the 454 got horrible gas mileage and bot much power. 235 hp in California, 245 elsewhere. The early smog years starting in 71 were horrible for power, mileage and driveanility.

I had a 72 Impala with a 350 in it. No matter how I tuned it, I was never able to get more than 12 mph highway. And it was slow. It took half again as long to get to 60 as my 56 Desoto, 330 cubes and 17 mpg pr my 55 Studebaker V8, 259 cubes, 21mpg.
That 72 Chevy was my first and last Chevy. It was also the worst car in the snow I ever drove.

my 65 impala SS had a glide and posi. it was great in the snow. we lived in town. never went on the highway. but friends lived on edge of town and lots of hills. we never got stuck.

It’s all relative. Lots of folks are Asian brand fans. I am too, to an extent. They made some great 4 cylinder cars (and V6 suv’s I hope, as I own one). But Mom’s Buick is rolling along at 237k miles, getting mid 20 mpg, sporting the 3.8 liter V6, riding better and with more power than my wife’s defunct 1999 4 cyl Camry that got 30 mpg and was unrepairable by the Toyota dealer at 208k miles. So I’ll miss THAT Buick. Truly some great cars. The newer stuff…I dunno. But I’ll miss the brand for what they once produced.

If she likes the Buick LaCrosse, she will probably also be happy with a Chevy Malibu. All she is losing is the name badge.

Most of the articles about this issue suggest Buicks aren’t going away, they’re just losing the Buick name badge. This is a mere branding issue.

2 Likes

Yeah like I said, my Rivera got over 500,000 on it with the engine using no oil and never being opened up except for a timing chain. Still great to drive but just too sick to continue. Hope it enjoys being a washing machine. Rest in peace both GM and Buick.

You seem to care more about what name your car has than the inner workings. All that’s going away is the Buick name, not the cars themselves. All that’s changing is the branding.

GM axing ‘Buick’ badge starting with the 2019 model year

Buick removes brand name from vehicles for ’19

What’s in a Name? Buick Goes Emblem-Only on 2019 Models

You seem to have not read the original post in this thread or the attached article…they are ceasing production of cars… just like a number of other manufacturers. They plan to continue selling SUVs.

Under the Buick name badge, yes, but the cars will still be sold with the Chevrolet brand on them.

1955 Mercury convertible.

…and the V-6 engine, Buick trim, optional AWD, standard features, etc.

Having a shared platform does not make all things equal, why would anyone buy an Acura when they can buy a Honda?

1 Like

That’s a valid point. I recently read an article that compared Hondas to Acuras, and in general, they found Acuras weren’t worth the extra cost, and the Honda versions were slightly more reliable.

I wonder if @Scrapyard_John’s mother might enjoy a Cadillac ATS, particularly if she is dissatisfied with the newest Malibu.

Heh heh. All I can say @Whitey is you probably have not spent much time in an Olds, Buick, or even Pontiac. They really did not drive or handle like a Chevrolet, not to mention styling. Same thing going back to Ford. If you ever drove a 61 Ford versus a 61 Mercury, uh, no comparison. Of course just in my humble opinion but it’s my money.

Is anyone shopping for 58-year old car?

I owned a Buick Skyhawk for several years, and it didn’t drive any better than a Chevy Cavalier.

I’ve rented a couple Pontiacs, and I didn’t think they were anything special.

Could it be that the different brands create a placebo effect?

How about considering a Cadillac ATS instead of a Buick LaCrosse? I’ve ridden in some smooth Caddies, so I don’t see why getting rid of the Buick brand is a big deal if they still have the Cadillac version.

Naw , a million miles kinda puts any placebo effect in its place.

But you have your view and I have mine. It’s my money and you may spend yours however you like.

Don’t most of them? Look at Subaru’s throng of supporters despite the problems they’ve had over the years with head gaskets…

1 Like