Bronco and rain not a good mix

I have a '96 Ford Bronco (5.0). Whenever it rains, especially heavy rain, she does not start. I installed new battery cables and a new starter; the Problem went away for a few rainy days, but came right back. Any ideas?

Does it turn the motor, just not fire up? If it doesn’t turn over, check the starter solenoid. If it turns, but doesn’t fire, probably more likely a distributor cap and ignition wire problem. I’d replace cap, rotor, and wires.

I am thinking spark pug wires and distributor cap.

It sounds like an ignition problem. Fords used to murder plug wires. Cheap wires are dead already.

Cheap wires are dead already

I agree, but there is no reason to buy the expensive designer wires either. They generally are all about looks and often function less well than standard OEM level wires.

Joe do you have a author citation for that statement? When writing a paper that is other than opinion I have been trained to provide author citations for anything that is not clearly in the common knowledge area, you don’t need a author citation proving who the President is.

Thanks for the replies. The old girl is overdue for some TLC. I’ll replace cap and wires.

oe do you have a author citation for that statement?

The quote (in italics) was from pleasedodgevan. The rest of my message was my opinion based on my personal experience. Most of the fancy plug wires I have seen have been the source of the problem I am sure there are some that are good quality and maybe even better than OEM, but IMO OEM quality (need not be the same manufacturer) are the best buy for the money.

Had 1992 Tempo that would not work properly in rain. It ran and would start but was all rough and wouldn’t keep running. Replaced spark plug wires. Problem solved. I am not saying that’s your problem, but it is a cheap fix. It cost me about $30 for the wires, and they were really easy to install. Do write down the firing order of your wires. Took several loud backfires to find the right combination.

Replacing wires one at a time, and keeping the firing order the same eliminates this problem. On older cars with distributor caps, I generally replace cap and rotor with the wires. I remove the cap with wires attached, install new rotor and cap, and replace wires one at a time using old cap and wires as a guide. Really important with 6-cyl and 8-cyl engines.

See, that would be smart, and I am dumb. But at least I learned something.