Broken down cars & boats in neighbor's yard - what to do?

Didn’t we have a very similar discussion a few weeks ago about a poster telling his city about his neighbor blocking the sidewalk with a vehicle? It seems going to the city didn’t work well that time because the neighbor knew who ratted them out, but I digress.

@Yosemite‌

“Normally people that hoard wrecked vehicles and such all over their yard have zero regard for any neighbor or pride in the neighborhood”

Getting back to my neighbor, who was recently forced to have the junk vehicles removed . . .

Yes, by storing all those junk vehicles in her driveway, she showed zero regard for the other residents

Interestingly enough, the outside of her house always looks great. The house is painted when needed, the roof and windows are in great shape. The lawn is always looking great, and the plants in front look spectacular. She actually spends a lot of time outside, taking care of the plants and flowers

So, in her case the driveway was the problem, not the yard

LOL

I bet in some Yuppie neighborhoods, if you don’t have a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo or SAAB of any vintage parked in your yard, anything else would be a junker according to them.

I’ve got nothing to worry about, in that case

It seems to be a very mixed street. Several newer expensive cars, but also several older “junkers”

The neighborhoods that worry me are the ones with lots of expensive, flash cars, yet it’s clear the owners are stretched thin, and can’t really afford them. Spending every single cent they earn, living paycheck to paycheck. Whatever they earn, that’s how much they spend.

Sadly, those seem to be the same neighborhoods, in which there were many foreclosures. Because their paychecks couldn’t pay for their dreams

@dagosa; in my Yuppie neighborhood, it is more common to see the houses that have fancy cars go in foreclosure. The ones with econoboxes seem to be more stable.

Boy, my wife and daughter would get PO'd thinking they had to "act like a man" to get things like this done.

OP referred to her “husband” as the one handling this; to wit,

My husband is about to talk to the town since he does not like conflict, and never sees the fellow.
Was it presumptious of me to assume the actor in question was male???

If it weren’t for Mrs. Triedaq, I would probably be like the neighbor of the OP. I hold onto old, broken equipment thinking that “I might fix this up someday” or “somebody might want this for parts for something they are repairing”.
In my case, it comes from the fact that my parents both lived through the depression and anything that could be salvaged was either fixed up or saved for parts. This tendency of my parents rubbed off on me. For years, we had three vehicles for the two of us. Mrs. Triedaq kept pestering me about getting rid of the one vehicle that was more than 30 years old and we really didn’t need. We didn’t have the garage space, so it sat at the end of the driveway so I could back the other car around it. I did keep it licensed and drove it to work, but it really was an unnecessary expense. I finally did sell it and interestingly, I didn’t miss it when it was gone.
I am now in the process of sorting through items in our garage. We had to have a portion of the garage floor replaced because it buckled. Everything got moved to one side of the garage and I decided to get rid of things. I still go through these items thinking “this might be worth something” or “this might be useful to somebody”. However, like the old car, when I do finally get rid of something, I don’t miss it after I dispose of it.
I am trying to dispose of things because I don’t want our son to go through what we had to go through clearing up my parents’ estate and Mrs. Triedaq’s parents’ estate. Mrs. Triedaq has the philosophy “When in doubt, throw it out”.
My guess is that the OP’s neighbor thinks that someday he might just fix up the speedboat. He may not realize that if he lost the title to the junked truck, he can apply to the state for a new title if he wants to donate the vehicle. The neighbor may not know how to dispose of things. I go through the same thing. Often I think “What do I do with this? I don’t need or want it, but it probably has some value”. Unfortunately, nothing gets done with the item. Perhaps the neighbor of the OP is like me–he really doesn’t want the junk, but doesn’t know what to do with it.

@Triedaq‌

There’s a big difference between 3 registered vehicles in the driveway . . . versus 5 non-registered junk vehicles and one junk RV in the driveway

@db4690–I agree that there is a difference. However, some people, unfortunately including me, have a hard time disposing of unneeded things even if they are non-registered junk vehicles.

Start putting junk on your property and three other people will complain about both properties and when the city gives both of you a set of orders you can look like a good guy. On an Air Force Base I wanted the gopher problem around our building solved so I started tossing peanuts to them. Many people then complained to the facility manager that some idiot was feeding the ground squirrels. Eight days later there were no live gophers left. Moral? It only takes one nut to solve a problem. I didn’t look like a good guy then but I liked doing things in unconventional ways.

if the worst prob in my neighborhood was a person with a driveway full of vehicles I d get down on my knees and give thanks

^I’m with ya, wesw. I’ve got a few projects going in the back, too. I’m not going to do anything now, but if my neighbor cared about it (and asked nicely) I’d either abandon 'em, or store them somewhere.

The only thing that would set me off would be gettong snitched upon. I would consider that totally uncalled for, and I’d be looking for ways (technically within the law) to make neighbor rue their informant ways…like painting the house purple, fermenting sauerkraut adjacent to their property, or something.

My neighbor informed me that he was going to build a parking pad next to his house in the side yard for his speed boat and its trailer. I told my wife, and she said she absolutely did not want the boat parked within a few feet of our yard. I wasn’t nearly as aghast at the boat, but I still went to my neighbor and suggested that he check zoning before he build the parking pad. I said that it might be too close to the property line, and I’d hate to see him tear it out after spending so much on it. Yes, I would have gone to the zoning board and forced him to take the parking pad out. Better that than having to listen to the eternal complaints about not going to the zoning board. He parks his boat in the garage, if you are interested.

I agree with others who say to go to the city. The inspector can drive by the place and cite your neighbor without your name ever being on the record, which is good if it turns out that your neighbor is nuts and is the type who seeks revenge.

One caveat: Go to city hall, not the cops; especially in small towns, newspapers like to publish police reports, so your name could end up attached to the thing.

@meanjoe75fan‌ "Was it presumptuous of me to assume the actor in question was a male ? "

No, but If this is about a wild party that keeps you up at night, you call he police. This, in our town, is a job for the code enforcement officer who knows what regulations, if any, the neighbor is violating. Asking only those who know what laws he is violating is the best way to confront these people.

When the right authorities confront the neighbor, everything is “on record” and your neighbor has been officially informed where it counts. If instead, an unknowing neighbor confronts the neighbor. Nothing is official and nothing can be done on your behalf.

I like @jtsander response relative to a problem with a neighbor. Get the appropriate authorities involved. They aren’t the neighbors.

If the city won’t do anything talk to the realtor that’s trying to sell the neighbors house. When our neighbors house was for sale, I had my riviera parked in the 3 car driveway, in front of my 3 car garage. He wanted to make sure it had current plates and thought it was causing a problem with the sale. He lost any of my future business but I did clean out a stall and move it in. Now the people that moved in have cars parked all over the place but my driveway is empty. In our town you have to have a car, boat, etc. parked on a hard surface.