Brand Name gas vs Generic

Are Brand Name gasolines ie. Shell with its v power,Mobil, Exon, Hess, Sunoco etc, "better " than the Generic (discount stations with no brand name). Is the additional price worth it

probably no real difference except additives …found an
article that might help…http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Business/Story?id=2978563&page=1

The government sets minimal standards for additives. The level is quite enough for almost any car that has no other problems (which if most all cars). Adding more will not likely hurt, but it also will not help. Some of the brand name fuels do have some additional additives, but for the most part they are a fix out looking for a problem that is not there.

This is a topic which inspires a lot of debate. The simple answer is that some of the name brands use a higher concentration of detergents than no-name gas. Shell for instance has a reputation of using a higher concentration of additives. Some manufactuers actually recommend a top-tier gas (High detergent fuel) for use in their cars. There are differences, but don’t be scared if you can only get no-name in a pinch. The differences make themselves known over long periods of time when build-up slowly occurs.

I have never thought even a second about fuel and have bought all kinds from cheapo to premium branded. All my cars(3) were trouble free in the fuel system + internal mechanicals when I sold them with 200k+.

I currently drive two higher performance vehicles (4cylinder turbo Subaru) and still do not care. I just look for octane 91 or higher

All gas is brand named gas. There are no discount gas refineries. The gas at the small independent stations are made by Exxon/Mobil, Hess, Sunoco, Gulf…etc.

You’re half right. The gas all comes from the same refineries, but each company adds its own specific detergent package afterwards.

Sometimes off brand stations is a medley of branded tankers not wanting to return to fuel depot with partial loads. This is what the convience store I worked at had in tanks. Sometimes even premium fuel (93 octane) was placed into regular tanks.

You’re half right. The gas all comes from the same refineries, but each company adds its own specific detergent package afterwards.

The independents BUY their gas from the EXACT same place the BRAND NAME companies get their gas from. The difference is…one week the independents may be running Gulf…Next week…Exxon…The independents don’t add their own additives…They BUY from the major companies. Many times a Exxon tanker will fill a Exxon station…But have about 100 gallons left over…So they’ll sell it to an independent. I’ve seen Exxon/Golf and Sunoco at this one independent doing just that…all in the same day.

I tank gas all over where the price is best. The only places I avoid are low volume, seasonal stations, like “Joe’s Bait & Tackle”, where the tanks may be rusted, the gas stale, etc.

Any high volume modern retail outlet will have good gas.

Well,
We discussed this matter last week when a Kentuckian posed the question for his Prius. (You should look at it by doing a search on “Prius”.
Its not the actually the brand any more. Its the ETHANOL. More and more major brands are selling
the ethanol products known as GASOHOL. Its alcohol mixed with gasoline. It was developed for vehicles with carburators and not cars with computers, injectors, and oxygen sensors. Now, I will say that if you are going to find gasoline you’d be better off filling up at one of the major named stations you mentioned,
Amacco, Shell, Chevron, BP, Phillips, Exxon, and Texaco providing there is not a sticker or label on the pumps saying that Ethanol has been added. And for the pumps that have no labels, it is up to the consumer (you) to keep up with your mpg and see just what you’re putting in the tank. More than likely all other brands are selling gasohol with the ethanol (blended additive). Some but not all are the Citgo, Raceway, Racetrack, Marathons, Jet Peps,Conoco, etc.
Today’s cars run better with gasoline, not gasohol and here’s why.
The O2(oxygen sensor) only recognizes hydrocarbon exhausts from gasoline. So if you spend less on gasohol thinking you’re saving money and getting back at the major oil companies…think again. The cheap gas is costing you plenty in poor mpg and performance. Last week I used my cars as an example…
I get 16 mpg with the ethanol gasohol. My mpg goes up to 20 mpg with gasoline, a difference of four.
With a 20 gallon tank I can go 80 further (4 x 20). How many gallons is that? Divide 80 miles by 20 mpg and you get 4 gallons. What does that relate to in dollars? Four gallons times the current price of gasoline…Almost $16.00 per 20 gallon tank.
As a mechanic, my suggestion would be to if you’re using gasohol to change the gas filter, find a gasoline distributor/station, and keep a journal of your miles per gallon on every fill up.
If the mpg drops, find another station, even in my case I generally go to the next county, question the station manager if they’re selling ethanol and double check their answer from the mpg of their gas product.
If I buy gasohol, it would be for the lawn mower or tiller… or anything else carburated that can’t leave me stranded. Try keeping up with your own mpg or convince a friend to do the same and compare notes.
If by chance, there isn’t a difference in the mpg, check the maintenance records and see if its time for a tune up.
Hope this helps… I already know this subject is a can of worms mainly because of the backing of special action groups who seems to have an interest in alternative fuels. The fact it is getting harder to find straight gasoline products attests to that. Those of you using the new E-85 product should really keep up with the mile per gallon and see how much its costing you per mile, per tank, etc. and then decide what is best for YOUR vehicle.
Rick

This was stolen fuel…The truck driver “short dropped” the previous load and sold the stolen gasoline for cash to your dirt-bag boss before returning to the terminal…