Brakes

I have a Hundai Santa fe with under 17,000 miles. The left, rear brake stuck and wore the pad out and ruined the rotor. The dealer said it was because I didn’t get the oil cahnged by them where they would have cleaned and lubed the brakes every other oil change. I don’t see anything in the owner’s manual about even inspecting the brakes every 6,000 miles much less cleaning and lubing them. I say it was a defect and should have been under warrenty. Am I wrong?

What year was this Hundai manufactured?

It sure sounds like the dealer is giving you pure BS. Does you owner’s manual list a Hyundai district office. Maybe you should contact them. Does Hyundai give you FREE maintenance? If not there should be no reason you need to bring it to the dealer.

Thanks, I think I will do that. I already answered a questionier, sent out by Hundai, with negative comments.
No, the dealer does not offer free maintenance and the owner’s manual says the brakes should be inspected for wear at 15,000 miles - nothing about lubing and cleaning!

The only maintenence that would come close to brake work every other oil change is to rotate the tires. At that time the brakes should be inspected for wear. If this problem were caught early, I would expect the dealer to repair the stuck sliders or caliper under warrantee. The sliders and caliper are not wear items IMHO. You might have been stuck with the cost of new pads and possibly resurfacing of the rotors in this example case but that would be all.

You are not wrong. If I worked for Hyundai, I wouldn’t be so particular about who is paying for the job, unless the manufacturer failed to pay most of the time. Try going up the chain to a district manager.

The dealer said it was because I didn’t get the oil cahnged by them where they would have cleaned and lubed the brakes every other oil change.

The service advisor is feeding a load of @$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$. Changing the brake fluid is a good idea but not at 17,000 miles. And they would not have pulled the calipers to lube the slides unless they were installing pads. When a brake inspection is performed it is a visual inspection only, the calipers would not be pulled unless the pads cold not be seen.
The advisor is either very ignorant ( ignorance is simply not having knowledge ) if he actually believes what he told you. He may also not be aware the Hyundai would pay the dealership for warranty repairs.
If he is not ignorant then it could be he is lazy and does not want to make any money.

One brake sticking at 17k miles is definitely due to a factory defect. The dealer is NOT lubricating the brakes every other oil change, that is pure BS.