Brakeclean instead of starter fluid?

You probably used chlorinated brake cleaner. As stated above one is ,very flammable and one not so much. On another note there is such a thing as too much fuel. If you choked up the engine with the fuel that could cause a stall as well

Spraying brake cleaner into a running engine might have made it too rich to run.

@Austinj425
After 6 years, Iā€™m guessing they have this sorted out by now.

2 Likes

@Barkydog didā€¦in 2018ā€¦:man_facepalming:

@FRANKM is actually correctā€¦ I tried substituting some type of brake clean for starting fluid a few times and was surprised it did not workā€¦like at allā€¦ not even a sputterā€¦then used the right fluid and bangā€¦ she ran. Iā€™ve been scratching my head over this because I thought the stuff was highly volatile in the same vein as etherā€¦ but this seems to be incorrect.

Brake clean does not substitute for starting fluid very well at allā€¦ Trust me I have triedā€¦ I honestly cant explain itā€¦but have seen it first hand many times.

Iā€™m 60 years old. Took Auto mechanics in high school and got a associates for it. I have always put my flammables like wd 40, break cleaner, starter fluid on the same shelf. When I need starting fluid I just pull one off. Donā€™t even look at it till I get to the engine. Everything has carcinogens in it. some are worse than others. I bet smelling exploded starting fluid is not good for you either. Their may be break cleaner out now that is not flammable I donā€™t know. I just use the same things I always bought and never had a problem.

Brake not Break . :thinking:

2 Likes

I can spell just fine! I use Google speech. Besides that when was english a requirement of Auto Mechanics smart aleck.

Boy is this old but yeah, as a kid I always had an oil can with gas in it to prime my go cart.

Bought a new chain for my chain saw and had the warning that in California it can cause cancer. Iā€™m ok though being in Minnesota and donā€™t lick my chains.

Youā€™re missing out on all the fun! Put down that banana peel youā€™re trying to smoke and snort some chain lube.

2 Likes

I use English. The story I told before is a local shop had a ā€œBack to school break specialā€ ad in the paper. Students today are confused enough without inflicting anxiety not knowing if they were getting their Summer break extended or the brakes fixed. More telling was the copy writer not catching the problem before it went to press.

2 Likes

I blame any current defect on sniffing the mimeograph papers in grade school. Course it could have been the lead from melting lead and making toy soldiers, but maybe it was the dioxin they put on dirt roads to keep the dust down, Could have been the asbestos rocks they gave us as boy scouts after touring an asbestos mine, sure 40 years of smoking and drinking to excess was probably not a good idea, but hey Iā€™m here and a lot of healthy friends practicing all the right things are not.

2 Likes