Brake pedal touching floor- mechanic can't help

When you put it like that, you bet I will

If I’m not mistaken, your comments had a very superior tone, perhaps implying that YOU are a decent mechanic, while the rest of us can’t diagnose a flat tire or a burnt out light bulb

You are entitled to your opinion, naturally

Thanks for posting back with the good results OP. Glad you are back on the road with well behaving brakes. Best of luck.

PS Good to hear your shop stands behind its work too!

1 Like

OP, it depends upon where you live. But, if you live near any population center, scope out car rental businesses. Some times and some places you can rent a small car for several days for the lost wages for just one day, also depending upon how much you make an hour.

The OP was back on the road 6 days ago.

While you were correct in the first sentence I quoted, you were not correct in the second. Bad master cylinder seals can indeed be intermittently symptomatic, at least at first. Source: Had it happen to me.

OP’s mechanic would seem to agree as well, since he replaced her master cylinder and everything’s working fine now.

@db4690 is pretty rarely wrong about car things - even experienced car wrenchers can learn a thing or two from him if they stick around long enough.

3 Likes

I am correct in the entire statement. Just because you get lucky and just replace a master cylinder instead of the ABS module does not make me wrong. You have no idea how many ABS modules we replace anually due to misinformed/lazy/arrogant “mechanics”. I can see how in the day and age we live in that stating facts are no good. Gotsta be more concerned with folks’s "feelings’ even though the facts are from MY OWN EXPERIENCE! I work on more cars in a week than y’all see in a lifetime. But hey, what do I know? It gets tiring dealing with BS from folks who pay me, much less from folks I help for free. If we’re gonna worry about someones inferiority complex instead of facts, HANG IT ON YOUR BEAK! I have cars to fix. Aint got the time for snowflakes, so BUZZ OFF!!!

You can act like an angry drunken frat-bro all you want, and it doesn’t change the fact that you are wrong. I feel sorry for your customers if this is how you respond to people who question your off-base conclusions.

1 Like

@pete_peters, what do you do when you replace an expensive ABS module and then discover the real issue was a comparatively inexpensive master cylinder?

The majority (as in all if I remember correctly…) of us thought it was the master cylinder all along. You were the sole exception by thinking it was the ABS module. Nothing wrong with your opinion at all but it should not automatically condemn the rest of us as “misinformed/lazy/arrogant” because you happened to miss the mark this one time. We all miss the mark now and then.

And yes, it does offend me to some degree to be referred to as misinformed, lazy, or arrogant. My mechanical work history says otherwise and believe it or not, a master cylinder can randomly hang and cause the symptoms described by the OP.

5 Likes

…indeed it can, and master cylinders tend to cause these problems much more often than wonky ABS modules.

4 Likes

And just how would you know that . . . ?

You have no idea how many vehicles me, asemaster, and the other professional mechanics work on in a week’s time

And you also have no idea just how accurate our diagnosis is. you haven’t actually watched any of us work

But you’re free to make assumptions . . .

As I recall, OP didn’t give you any :poop: . . . so I don’t know where that is coming from. In fact, OP was very grateful for all the help that was given

4 Likes