Brake light comes on when turning a corner

I have a 2004 Buick LeSabre with 58,000 miles. Quite often when turning a corner in either direction, the brake light comes on. Often it will go off when I get above 40 mph. Other times it has to sit a while before it goes off.

What is causing this? The brakes have never been worked on.

Did you check if your brake fluid is low?

“Brake light” could refer to the lights on the rear end of the car, or it could refer to the brake warning light on the dashboard. I will assume that you are talking about the brake warning light on the dashboard.

As lion9car implied, this light serves double duty–warning of both an emergency brake that is “on”, as well as low fluid level in the brake hydraulic system. Since it does not sound like you are driving with your e-brake in the on position, you need to check the master cylinder in order to check the level of the fluid. If it is low, buy a can of the correct specification brake fluid, and refill to the “full” mark on the master cylinder.

The specification for the brake fluid can be found in your Owner’s Manual. The manual will also help you locate the master cylinder, just in case you don’t know where it is located. And, the manual will also discuss the functions of that brake warning light. I would suggest that you spend some time with that manual.

If the fluid level is low, that indicates either of two conditions:

A leak in the brake hydraulic system
or
Brake pads that are worn

When brake pads wear, the calipers cause more fluid to be drawn from the master cylinder, hence a low level of fluid in the MC. No matter which of these two scenarios is causing a low fluid level, you need to have a competent mechanic check your brakes immediately.

Please note that “competent” does not include the likes of Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, AAMCO or other chain operation. Seek a well-reputed independent mechanic in your town and have him check your brakes.

sounds like a sensor maybe the antilock brakes.

The Antilock brake system has a different warning light.

That’s usually a sign of low brake fluid.