Brake dust shield?

Would you call this a backing plate? Or dust shield?
It mostly is there to hold the abs wire clip.
But, what is the purpose of the odd tab at bottom?
Other then too rub on disc and cause noise.
Never see a real pic of it online. Just this sketch

I have heard it called both but I believe it is called a dust shield.
Top 3 Reasons Brake Dust Shields are Necessary | YourMechanic Advice

A lot probably depends upon which part of the country as nomenclature can vary. Around here we have generally called them rotor shields but six of one; half dozen of the other.

The pic is an odd one but I might guess at the bottom tab/slot as providing access to a ball joint attachment nut or grease zerk but I have never seen one with a tab like that so it’s a wild guess only.

Another example is the use of carburetor solvent. Around here it was often called carburetor acid; and yes I know that it is not acid. Someone criticized me for using that word once so carb cleaner/solvent/acid; all the same.

Some people call differential oil hypoid oil; others call it gear oil, 80/90 weight, and so on.

Drum brake = Backing plate.

Disc brake = Dust shield.

Tester

2 Likes

That was one of the interesting things I liked about truck driving the way things were said or called from one part of the country to the next some times I had to ask what they meant but when they explained I understood what they were talking about and they sometimes had to ask me what I meant plus the different accents from the different areas.

This is listed under dust shields but it’s technically a backing plate.
When I turn the car the brake rotor has just enough play to rub on tab. Squeak. .

I believe the lobe on the bottom is a heat shield for the ball joint boot.

Backing plates are metal plates that function as the solid foundation for drum brake . Made of steel, these plates have the wheel cylinder mounted on them to which the brake shoes are then attached.

Tester

3 Likes