Brake clunking/knocking

Hi all!

I have a '98 Acura Integra LS, and it’s developed an extremely irritating knocking/clunking sort of noise that seems to be coming from the front driver’s side wheel. It only occurs when I lightly apply the brakes, and turning doesn’t seem to have any effect on it, so I don’t think it’s an axle (as I said, it’s more of a clunk than the typical axle “click” anyway). The car stops normally, and there’s no other indication that anything is wrong, but it occurs regularly once the car’s been driven a few miles or so. The noise increases and decreases in frequency with the speed of the wheels, so it seems to be something whacking some part of the wheel mechanism as the wheels turn. At higher speeds it almost sounds like a squeaky spring; as I get closer to a full stop, it sounds more like a clunk or knock. I can also lightly feel it through the floor of the vehicle as it happens.

When it first started happening I got new pads and rotors (the rotors were warped anyway), and I had my mechanics check everything out, but they didn’t find anything wrong. Unfortunately the new pads and rotors didn’t help, and the noise is making me crazy. If anyone has any ideas, I’d appreciate it!