Brake checking - on the Interstate

Totally understand. Most motorcycle riders develop this sense as self-preservation. I can often tell beforehand which cars are going to do something stupid by subtle actions leading up to it.

2 Likes

I would say this is terrible advice to give your kids, you already know something is wrong with this person (the tailgater, your words, “prick”), do you really want your kids (or even you) to know what is their problem. People see too many crazy things on TV and have done even crazier things in various video games. They just might think that if they put a “and bullet across the bow” of your car to get your attention, or they might just be able to tap the bumper to let your kid know they want to pass (you know, the way you might tap a person on the shoulder and say, “excuse me, may I pass…”).

I tell my “kids” maintain your speed, and if you are on a street, take a right, and then turn around and continue your trip. Let someone else deal with this person. If you are on a highway or worse case, call 911…

As big and strong and fearless as you might be, my 357 magnum fears no one… Remember the old slogan, “God made Man, Sam Colt made them equal…"

Playing games on the highway is never a good idea, there are no rules, and everyone (especially innocent bystanders) lose…

Oh, PS: to this… A young sergeant in my Air Force Unit was driving back to the base from his hometown (he was on “leave” – vacation…) and he was being tailgated and he Brake Checked the tailgater and the tailgater hit him, not hard, but enough to stop and report the accident. The police ticket the sergeant for reckless driving and some other stuff (no video, but witnesses in the tailgater’s car) and the sergeant told the police what he did to get the tailgater off his bumper. Brake checking is not a legal maneuver…

On the other side of this issue, not someone who is tailgating me, but someone who is driving so much under the speed limit that I am in a position to be tailgating them and I cannot pass.

I’ve already thought this through. After 30-years in the military, I’ve seen enough violence, I am also 72 and I’ve lived longer than any other male in my family and I’m not done living…

I pull over and take a different route if possible, if not, I just take a side trip and then get back on course. I admit, I do not like “piddling” behind someone who is just moping along. There are many possible reasons for them driving so slowly, they’re drunk and being extra careful, they lost their glasses, they might be a new driver, they might be on an unfamiliar road, they might be lost, etc… As I wrote on anther posting in this on this topic, I do not know what their problem is and I do not want to find out…

I’ve lived by the slogan, “It’s the journey, not the destination…” My wife thinks I’m wasting gas, I’m wearing out the car, I’m killing time, and I tell her, enjoy the sights and you’ll have new memories…

1 Like

Yeah I guess that’s what I had in mind when I said I often stereotype other drivers. Can’t exactly put my finger on it, but just a combination o& factors that tell me to stay clear of them. Clothing is one item I will not mention, but guys wearing a hoody can’t see what is beside them.