Bogus 'The Little Demon' puzzler answer

A lot of cars back then could foul out spark plugs (remember 60’s and 70’s cars were only 10-20 years old then) one or 2 depending on the rings, different times back then and only 2 spark plug sockets sizes (mainly) and they came in most small tool kits that you could carry in the (very large back then) trunk or where ever… A lot of country folk kept a few tools in there truck, remember that trucks didn’t cost more than a BMW back then and were used as awork trucks back then…
Also, remember that a spark plug socket was either a 5/8 or 13/16 for most cars and spark plugs were mostly on the side of engines so a standard socket would work, just had to be careful not to drop it… Plus a lot of mechanics carried some tools with them for working on home projects or side projects, I still know a lot of guys that do that (it’s a mechanic thing), something a lot of white collar workers would not know much about or deal with, cause they don’t have all or most of there tools at a shop that is locked up after they leave…

Just explaining the reason why someone might have had tools in their vehicle back then… And someone with a few tools would be more likely to try to help somebody start their car then someone with limited knowledge and NO tools…

2 Likes

There are too many possibilities with that old puzzler. I remember those old socket sets that often got carried in the trunk of cars (if at all…) and if they had a “Deep Well” Spark Plug socket in the set, it was probably a 13/16"…

And the standard spark plug for a GM 400 CI V8 was the AC/Delco Resistor Spark Plugs 19354415 and this plug is a 5/8" plug…

Here is a better puzzler…

Three friends go to a car show. The individual entrance fee is $10 and they each pay $10.00… After a few minutes, the Ticket Master realizes that they qualify for the “Friends and Family” discount of $25.00. the Ticket Master tells his assistant to go find them and hands the assistant five $1.00 bills. While looking for the guys, the assistant gets greedy and keeps $2.00 for himself. When he finds the guys, he hands each of them $1.00 back…

Now, each of the friends paid $10.00 and got $1.00 back, so they each paid $9.00 totaling $27.00. The assistant has $2.00, that makes $29.00 in total…

But they originally paid $30.00, where is the missing dollar?

Now, this is a Puzzler…

1 Like

Yeah, that is a good puzzler. The red herring is in the clever, disparate presentation. Yes, the friends paid $27 but that is the misleading part. They needed to pay $28 if the TM kept $2.

1 Like

Yup, it’s a good puzzler. But they did pay $10 each and each got $1 back, that’s a total of $27… The assistant still has $2 in his pocket… that’s $29… Where’s the missing dollar, or is the missing dollar all “smoke and mirrors?”

Hint: Follow the money…

It is all in the wording… lol… But a good one…

Of the original $30 paid, the shop has $25, the customers have $3, and the other guy has $2. Nothing missing.

The confusion is caused by the claim they each paid $9 to the shop. They each paid $10 to the shop.

2 Likes

As I wrote in the hint, it’s all smoke and mirrors. Using the old adage: “Follow the Money…” In my version I tried to make it car related with a “car show” verses a hotel.

The Ticket master still has $25, the assistant has $2, and each of the attendees have $1 each…

$25 + $2 + $1 + $1 + $1 = $30… No missing dollar…

1 Like

Spot on. It’s not easy to get your brain to understand what’s going on given the red herring presentation. If the friends paid $27 (they did) and the TM kept $2 (he did), the car show got $25 (they did). Nothing confusing there. I’m easily confused so these types of puzzlers work a part of the brain that most of us never have to use. Good stuff.

1 Like

My Head hurts now!!!.. lol

1 Like