BMW X5 AWD brake disk explodes with OE biscuit wheel

The manual says the spare wheel should be at 420kPa = 4.2 Bar, it’s spose to be alot harder then the normal tyres. They are rated between 2.2 and 2.8 bar I think, can’t remember the exact numbers off hand.

If I did the math correctly, this is extremely low tire pressure, enough to damage the tire and possibly to cause the issue you had. If they’re covering the costs here, you’re lucky. In the future, you need to actually check the pressure in your spare tire regularly, which you clearly didn’t do in a very long time.

If the tire got damaged fair enough it was due to been under inflated, but the rotor exploded, the tire is still fine. Cars should not explode, that is just bad design / software mistakes.

The tire pressure is also on the garage, as this car is got a full maintenance plan, and 3 months ago, before December travels I took it in for the holiday check. How can BMW not check the spare wheel!! The garage charge a fortune for maintenance packages, they need to take responsibility.

Famous last words…

;-]

The plan BMW is suggesting seems the right one to me. It sounds like they want to get to the bottom of what caused it.