Bmw gas requirement

Is it really necessary to use premium gas in a BMW?

is it really necessary to use premium gas in a BMW.What are consequences if regular is used?

W

Yes, it’s really necessary. Consequences? How about holes in the pistons?

It’s always the people who buy the expensive cars who are the most reluctant to feed them the necessary fuel.

Why is that?

Seriously, whoever you are, your BMW needs premium. You bought a high-performance, precision-engineereed automobile. “The Ultimate Driving Experience,” right? Every new BMW sold in the USA requires premium gasoline.

Don’t be a cheapskate. Give you’re BMW the octane it needs. Feed it NOTHING but premium gasoline.

Not really sure why you would buy a BMW when you knew it would require premium gasoline. You did read the owner’s manual before buying it, right?

In any case, if regular is used, you’ll not only cause damage to the engine but you’ll also void the warranty, and those damages will be your responsibility. You’ll save a few cents now only to pay thousands later.

I think both of the other posters above are incorrect. I dont belive you will damage a thing, the cars today have very advanced electronics to prevent damage even if a lower octaine fuel is used… HOWEVER you MAY see a decline in performance, and maybe even fuel economy. This is because the safety net for the lower octaine fuel is the computer taking to ignition timing.

Just follow the owners manual. If you are not going to maintain the thing properly, just sell it and buy a civic or something that will run correctly on lower octane fuel.

Is there an epidemic of folks who don’t mind writing a $30 - 40K check for a car, but don’t want to spend an extra $5 on a tank of gas? Am I missing something here?

We don’t know what model and year you have so we don’t know. Many newer cars well sense what gas is in there and try to adjust. Of course there is a price for adjusting like lower mileage and less power. The cost of not adjusting (and yours may not adjust, we don’t know) could be a replacement engine.

In your owner’s manual it will tell you it needs or it rrecommends premium. If it does not indicate recommend; it needs.

Read your Owner’s Manual in order to find out if premium gas is required (rather than recommended) for your car, and then act accordingly.
Read your Owner’s Manual in order to find out if premium gas is required (rather than recommended) for your car, and then act accordingly.

If someone bought a performance car, why would they want to chince out on the gas for it?
The price is usually 20 cents more per gallon for 91 over 87. So, even if they filled up a 20 gallon tank on empty, they’d only spend $4 more than if they had put in 87. Now, looking at it that way, does it really seem so bad?

You know, Craig58 and I disagree philosophically on many things about cars, but I have to agree 100% here. Why in the world would you buy a BMW and then try to cheap out on the fuel? Although it’s a running joke in the BMW motorcycle groups (I own a BMW motorcycle) that the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider, even those guys don’t skimp on using the higher octane if that’s what is supposed to be used.