BMW, 1986, 325es

I live in San Francisco. They are repairing my garage so now I am having to park on the street (and hills). This past week-end I discovered that my car will not go into “park” after turning the ignition off. It will go into the other gears just fine. Fortunately, I learned that I can start my car in neutral. When I put my finger into the gap adjacent to the gears, I felt something sharp. I am wondering if it is possible that my car was hit from the front or rear when it was parked on the street and as a result, jarred something in my gear box?

Thank you very much for your help.

“When I put my finger into the gap adjacent to the gears, I felt something sharp.” Could you expand on that? Is that your question? I do hope you are using the parking brake. That “Park” position on the transmission is only intended as a backup to the parking brake.

And, turn your wheels toward the curb. When you stop your car, let the tire roll to the curb, set the park brake, release the foot brake, then, place the gear selector into PARK (last). When you start the car, put it into gear, release the parking brake, and go. The idea is to let the tire and park brake hol the car in position. This way, there is no tension on the axle and transmission when you are shifting.

"my car will not go into "park" after turning the ignition off."

I think you are supposed to put it into park before you shut it off. or is that a typo?

I doubt that it matters on a '86, there shouldn’t be any interlock with the shifter.