Blown engine oil filter gasket

Appreciate all your opinions. Any more opinions just post, thank you.

Your oil looks very dirty to me, perhaps the filter clogged and the gasket blew out.

There’a a lot more to know before any blame can be pinned on anyone. Why did the turbocharger blow? Oil supply is crucial to these things and if it was somehow screwed up that would explain the turbo, and maybe the filter. Was the new one installed properly? What caused the blown filter? @Tester says very high oil pressure, and that seems to be true based on what we can see, so what could explain that? There’s information missing.

Yeah, also looks like some powdered aluminum in it:

Racing, maybe?

Well the oil doesn’t look good, but in the guys defense, I wouldn’t suspect the oil to look great if it was in an engine that is now “done”…,

Is the car still under warranty?

This may not sound very nice . . .

I think the Mitsubishi dealer is off the hook

Many shops stand behind their work for 12 months

You’re past that point

And another thing . . . owner’s manuals state to change the oil at such and such mileage or such and such time limit, whichever comes first. I’d say you exceeded the time limit. There’s no way the owners manual is going to say it’s okay to leave the oil in there for 13 months. It is the owner’s responsibility to read the manual, so that the car is maintained properly. It’s not wise to rely on the dealership or a shop to remind you it’s time to bring the car in, or check the oil level, or what have you.

And I think Mitsubishi corporate is also off the hook. They can always point to the owner’s manual and say you didn’t adhere to the proper oil change schedule. You waited too long, in plain english.

I suspect OP was told a reason as to why he was denied the “blown turbo repair under warranty” . . . I’d like to know what that reason was

1 Like

I agree with all points made by db4690. Every failed turbocharger I’ve ever seen died due to extended oil changes, coked oil, and so on.

2 Likes

Sooo the turbo failed at 48K. While not unusual 30 years ago, it is fairly rare today on un-modified engines.

Is there a “tune” installed in this engine’s ECU to make more power? If so, you are on your own for the repairs.

At what pressure would you expect a filter seal to fail when tested @Tester?

And was there any Racer’s Edge in the oil I wonder?

But in my years busting knuckles I have seen filter cans bursted open, threads stripped out of the base and the internals of filters collapsed completely but never have I seen a properly installed filter blow out the seal ring. Until now.

the flat seal blew out on our 83 dodge colt. was filter too loose? dont recall. the o-ring seal on newer filter housings may extrude out. does happen. or it could happen. if distortion is small it will leak oil and may not cause a big drop in oil pressure. until you get to a low oil level situation and now have a problem. how much oil was left in car when it was looked at by shop?

i dont own garage. i dont know what the deal is when a customer has a blown oil seal and damage due to low oil. is it left to court to decide? did owner see oil light? did owner have no clue of issues till motor noise? if shop says ya, we normally will cover it but its too late for times reasons, 13 months than that would bite