Bleed new caliper,1997 Grand Caravan

dodge
grandcaravan

I installed a new caliper on my 1997 Grand Caravan. Then I tried to bleed the brake line. There appears to be no bleeder valve but only a single screw with a hole in the end. There appears to be no valve to bleed the air. How do I bleed the air out of the caliper?

@LeRoy

That “single screw with a hole in the end” is the bleeder

??? You are describing the bleeder screw.

I don’t mean to offend anyone here, but brakes are the most vital safety component on a car, for you and for anyone on the road around you. If you don’t understand how to properly repair your brakes please don’t attempt to do it yourself.

Gotta agree with the above. Just installed new pads and rotors and exchanged brake fluid. My back is sore.

Bleeding is a two person job without bleeding equipment. Attach a plastic tube to the bleeder screw with the other end in a bottle with brake fluid in. Open the bleeder while the other person pushes down on the pedal and holds. Close bleeder valve, then brake pedal is released. Repeat a couple dozen times until no air bubbles come through the hose making sure to keep the resevoir filled. A repair manual is a handy thing to have.

@db4690, @asemaster, @Bing Thanks for the help. I never understood how that was a valve since it looks like it would unscrew the whole thing. I am going to have to take it all apart sometime and see how it works! I don’t have to completely understand brakes, I have the world’s finest experts to consult! My wife is my assistant, has been assisting for years! The brakes work fine!

Maybe not that fine! I replaced shoes on both front discs. I replaced the left front caliper. The brakes work perfectly but the left rim is hotter than the right rim! What should I do to correct it or will it cool down when it breaks in?

The brakes work perfectly but the left rim is hotter than the right rim!

If one rim is hotter…it’s usually a sign that the caliper on that wheel is sticking.

It could also be a sign that the rubber flexible brake hose leading to the caliper has collapsed internally. For a car that’s 16+ years old, I’d definitely replace both front brake hoses.

@MikelnNH The left caliper is the one I replaced last weekend, probably not sticking. I thought the one I replaced was sticking since that lining had more wear.
@JoeMario I never heard of that. I am just a weekend mechanic but wouldn’t that restrict the flow and lower the movement of the lining? I will replace the hoses.

As those rubber brake lines age, their inner walls can collapse. When they do, they will often behave like a reed valve - allowing fluid movement only one way (to the caliper) and not in reverse (where a very small movement is needed to ease off the pressure on the caliper & pads).

I’ve had to replace many, as have others on this board. You can find lots more info on it by doing a search for “collapsed flexible brake hose”.

@JoeMario I replaced the left front flexible brake hose and all is well! Thanks to everybody for all the help!