Big issues with the s10

Ok so I bought this truck about 2 weeks ago and I bought it from a close friend. The truck ran great for about the first week then one night I was driving and it overheated severely and started running really rough. It had blown a head gasket… at least that’s what I think due to the large amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust while running. I repaired that and put GM certified coolant in it. Yesterday I was taking a short drive and noticed a burning oil smell and it was just starting to go over the 210 degree mark on the temp gauge. I made it home and checked the oil. When I pulled the dipstick a decent amount of smoke came out of the dipstick tube that just had a distinct burnt smell. It didn’t even smell like oil. And there was barely any oil on the dipstick so I added the proper amount of 5-w30. Why could there be smoke coming out of the dipstick tube and why is it still getting hot?

How did you know the head gasket was bad? you repaired the head gasket? replaced it? (head gasket’s can’t be repaired) that is a major job. Or did you have it done? You should take it back to whoever did it.

The blown Head gasket was the result of over heating. You repaired the gasket but not the cause for its failure. And as for the oil, how often have you checked it?

What year and what engine? GM has had problems with Intake manifolds and Intake manifold gaskets. Since you replaced the head gasket you must have also replaced the intake manifold gasket. I would further research an intake manifold problem.

Normal engine operating temperature can fall between 210-240 degrees F. Depending on conditions.

The smoke out the dip stick tube is probably excessive blow-by.

You do realize that, when an engine is overheated, it can damage the piston rings?

Tester

How much oil did you have to put in to bring the level up to the full mark???

If you had to add a lot of oil, the smoke could have been the bearings burning up which means a new engine.
You may have replaced the head gasket, but did you take the heads to a shop to determine if they needed machining. This is important because without the heads being perfectly flat, the gasket will never seal the high combustion pressures.

Yosemite

I was just assuming considering the temperature issue and the large amount of smoke but is there anything else that could have been wrong?

I only had to add like half a quart for it to read correctly

I guess I never really though of that thanks for the your input

I’m almost positive that the overheating was caused by the thermostat being bad

Did you pull the thermostat and test it?