Better buy? 90 Mazda 626 or 80 Toyota corolla wagon...MOM needs new car!

Drop any European cars, asking for problems at this price level. The Prizm stands out as a good possibility (it’s a Toyota at heart). Hyundai Accent was average, worth a look. I’d want miles under 100k.

If you don’t think you can afford payments, then keeping your budget low is a good idea.
Of those choices, I’ll echo texases in saying avoid Euro cars(Volvo, VW, etc.), but throw my suggestion for the 03 Malibu

Mazda 626 automatic transmissions didn’t last long, manual would be a lot better in a 626.

One more point: you can tell absolutely zero about a car by its internet description or its picture. The only way to know anything about a used car is to get it on a rack for a going-over and driving it…including a good drive on the highway.

Chances of getting a good used car on EBay, Craigslist, or any of these sites is approaching zero.

Good used cars in the $3000 dollar range are generally found from friends, relatives, coworkers, or acquuaintances. Put the word out that you’re looking.

Sincere best.

In the 80’s people went around bragging that their car had over 100,000 miles on it. Today, they’re just getting started at that mileage. So a new car with more miles on it will still likely last longer than a 1980 car with fewer - - especially when you consider that parts start getting hard to find on cars that old unless they’re collector cars (and even then it can be difficult - ask the Duesenberg guys how much fun it is to find engine parts :wink: )

Some of us. . .have different ideas on what a “sweet” car is :wink:

Same year.

what about a 2000 honda passport with 130K miles for 3000… Sounds too good to be true.
or the chevy tracker? 2001.
And any word about chrysler?

…still swimming.

T H A N K Y O U

I’d pass on the Passport - it’s a rebadged Isuzu, not a ‘real’ Honda. Chevy, take a look. I’m not a big Chrysler fan…

I think you might want the Mazda. My 83 Corolla didn’t handle perfectly in heavy rain. It settled down when I got down to 55 so maybe it’ll do the job. I did like the fuel economy and the ease of routine maintenance.

On a budget?

Old Volvo? No!

Landrover? No!

"Not On a budget?

Old Volvo? No!

Landrover? No!

CSA

Ok Ok… so I want a fancy car…I want alot of things. but I know I’m on a budget and this time its not about me…its about my son… and my wallet… my very thin wallet.

CSA… seems as though I need some more of you.

Ok folks… how about a 04 hyundai accent… low 100k miles… around 4000… I’m gonna try and talk them down.
After reviewing several cars… this one seems to be the most consistent… not too old, not too many miles, easy to maintain… but Yes I will see if my mechanic can take a look see and make sure I drive it,

Now when I drive it on the highway… what am I looking for? Is there anything else besides the obvious that something just doesnt feel right? odd sounds… etc… ?

You all are like my car angels… thank you again.

I’ve had really good luck with Mazda Protege. These are great cars without the Honda/Toyota price premium.

WOW…a 3000 budget can and will find you some VERY nice cars. You would weep at what I pay for some of my vehicles…but then again I am a mechanic. I have seen many Toyota Camry wagons cheap… Hell you are in a good price range…and stay off Craigslist unless you know a mechanic that will check it out for you…people see some JUNK on there sometimes. Look on Ebay for vehicles in your zip code range…I could get some very very nice vehicles for 3000…

Hell the 98 HOnda Civic is under 3K nowadays…nothing more reliable than that vehicle…STAY AWAY FROM AMERICAN CARS in this price range…sad but true.

What area do you reside in? East Coast…West?

DO NOT buy a carbureted 80 Toyota of any type…not needed with your budget
You have many a good car to choose from in the HOnda category, Toyota, NIssan… NO AMERICAN JUNK PLEASE. I have owned more vehicles than many people put together…and I have had several American cars too…it comes from experience for me to say to stay away from “Our” cars

Your list:
02 Hyundai accent with 82K for $2999.------ POOP
98 Chevy malibu with 84K for 29-03 malibu with 142K miles for 3 grand— POOP and POOP.
99 Jetta VW for $2999 ---- Not bad but they arent reliable on a reg basis
98 Corolla with 147K for $2993 - Not bad too high - Offer them $22-2300 less w/o T-belt service done
01 Prizm for $3500 with 96K – Not too bad…its a Toyota BTW… Offer $3000

Many a good Volvo 240 out there…and it comes in a Wagon…u can get them cheap

AND PLEASE BUY FROM A PRIVATE SELLER…Dont buy these from a used car lot.

“NO AMERICAN JUNK PLEASE”

I have a 1998 Buick Regal with 130,000 miles on it that runs just fine - it always has. My 2003 Olds Silhouette has 110,000 and it runs quite well. I also have a 2005 Honda Accord with 82,000 miles - it runs well, too. What do they all have in common? I perform the maintenance as required. You are so 20 years ago with that remark.

I’m in the east coast… just checked ebay… not much for 3000 range, but definitely some nice cars.

Whats the deal from the used car lots?
My boyfriend likes them because a lot of them offer warranties…I feel pretty torn on the whole thing… private vs dealer…

I like the Volvo 240 idea. Safe, reliable, easy to fix. The older rear wheel drive Volvos (240, 740, or 940) have a better reputation for durability than the newer models.

You could probably pick up a 940 wagon for about $2000. I believe they came with dual airbags after about 1993 or 1994. Nice cars.

I forgot to mention- that corolla wagon is pretty sweet. Probably not ideal to use as your only vehicle, but it’d be a fun project car.

I DO LOVE THAT WAGON THOUGH!!! Its def sweet but not for you…its too old and would make a cool second car if that wagon is your sort of thing…lol… Nice but not really for you.

I am soooo 20Years ago with my remark? OK, maybe…We have made great strides to emulate the performance and reliability of our Japanese Imports…WHY? Because the US automakers finally realized that American citizens wouldnt or no longer were forced to buy the utter HORSE-S$%t! that they foisted upon us…and for no other reason. Left to their devices we would still be tooling around with chevy 350s or 305’s under our hoods. You definitely are correct in that we have come a long way with AMerican cars…S-L-O-W-L-Y

So American cars have improved…HOWEVER with a 3000 budget you arent going to be able to buy any of our improved cars…you will be stuck with 15+yr old American cars…if thats your preference…and GOD help you…Those vehicles are pretty much disposable, no they ARE disposable.

Japanese vehicles on the other hand have been solid and fuel efficient from day one…

I truly WISH our cars had a better reputation, but they earned it… SOrry…I dont like it any more than you do…and I have owned my fair share, and they were reliable…with me working on them basically keeping them on life support the entire time.

I PROMISE you this OP doesnt want to deal with that sort of crap…buy a nice Honda Toyota or Nissan or a safe cheap VUVU…I have no American car equal to go against them in the year ranges she will be forced to look at… Now TRY to prove me wrong… I’m a mechanic so Ive seen A LOT out here…

WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED? I just found a nice 1992 VUVU 240 Wagon for 2100 on Craigslist…not that pretty but it looks nice inside and is built like a TANK

No, old Volvos are NOT safe, reliable, nor easy to fix. They are expensive, unreliable, and less safe than the much more modern cars that are available. Absolutely avoid them!

Check out the Prizm, Malibu, and Accent. No to everything else. Notice that the Corolla is 3 years older and has 50% more miles than the Prizm, yet is very close in price? That’s why you shop Prizm instead of its twin the Corolla. Stay away from luxury cars like Volvos and Land Rovers. They are more expensive to fix and there are more things that can go wring with all the extras they have on them. A Buick is fine (and reliable). My daughter gets 27 MPG on the highway in a 1998 Regal and my FIL gets the same mileage in his 2005 LeSabre.