Best way to tape up a leaky brake line

Zero chance doctors will advise pulling his license, dad is in very good health and has no mental issues, he is just stubborn. He has always “fixed” things and gotten by. He won’t give up his keys and I don’t think it’s my place to take them, he is an adult in full control of his abilities and last time I checked, stubbornness isn’t reason to restrict someone from driving. Oh and he did serve in WW II.

RG= Robert Gift

Good for you. It’s good to hear someone stand up for an elderly person rather than thinking that because he’s elderly he must therefore be “losing it”. Like others here, and like you’re implying, I suspect he’s a man who grew up fixing things rather than replacing them, and he may not understand that this won’t work.

The issue of the brakes, however, is a serious issue regardless of his age and abilities. Is it possible to get him to read through this thread? Perhaps if you printed it and showed it to him? He might get upset, but perhaps he’ll think the question through and decide to have it repaired properly.

Not a chance, my dad is a very stubborn man, he truelly believes the problem is solved, and until he runs into something because he can’t stop…that view won’t change, my hope is its a tree or such.

Tall him you’re taking the car to have it detailed and fix the brake line at the same time. How did I know he was a vet at 93? Not hard. That’s how the war was won-by improvising and sheer stubbornness.

What if it isn’t a tree or such… but someone’s child?

Dad is not the only stubborn person in this conversation.

No chance I am driving that car, plus only dad drives dad’s car, no one else has keys or knows where they are. If it’s a kid then my dad will have to answer to the law, again he is an adult of sound mind and body, we have explained to him what could happen. He is fully aware. I will just wait for the call that he has wrecked and then go see what has happened. Sometimes there is just nothing you can do.

I hope you don’t have to live with the fact that you could have saved a young life that will have been needlessly ended, and if I get hit by a 93 year old man’s car with faulty brakes, my lawyers will be coming for his adult offspring as well as him.

At one time we had state inspections here in Indiana and a vehicle with rusty brake lines would not get through inspection. However, there were so many abuses in this program that it was killed over 35 years ago. However, as I understand it, a police officer who suspects a car is being driven with faulty equipment so that it is not safe can stop the vehicle and have it towed off the road. The driver can be charged with driving an unsafe vehicle.

The lawyers could come but there is no liability on the children as we have instructed him not to drive the car. He is fully licensed by the state to drive, he is fully aware of the risk and damage he can do. I will be sorry when he wrecks, but hold no liability. My dad says the car is fixed and has driven it around the neighborhood, so there isn’t anything I can do but hope he is right. He didn’t say what he did, but that he “fixed” the problem.

There is no liability from a relative who is untrained as a mechanic or engineer. Just because people on the internet say so doesn’t mean anyone knowing about it is liable. Its not like giving refuge to a fugitive or being partner to a murder. Everyone has made their opinions known.

Now I’d like to talk about that 17 year old with the rusted out pick up truck that obviously has some mechanical defects and is not being driven very carefully. Maybe someone should take his keys.

Wow, you must be really afraid of your Dad, or too cheap to fix it yourself.

At least find out where the leak is. If it’s in one of the rubber lines a new rubber line can probably be bought for less than $20. depending on the car and with minimal mechanical skills be replaced, then just bleed the air from the brake system and all will be good. I had a rubber line break on one of my cars several years ago that I wasn’t aware was bad. I was going down a steep hill with a stop sign at the bottom of the hill and was lucky there wasn’t anyone coming, because I couldn’t stop and made a very fast left turn. I replaced the line myself and even replaced all the other rubber lines on the car for safety’s sake. I think I replaced the rubber lines going to all four wheels for about $50. maybe even less. My dad was 81 years old when he passed away and was still a good driver, but if he had a problem he couldn’t fix himself, because of age or health issues he would either have the car repaired or if I was visiting (I lived 500 miles away) I’d make the repair for him. My mom and dad’s life were worth more to me than the time it would take me to fix any problem they had. If you value your dad’s life you’ll see to it this problem is repaired correctly even if you have to pay for it yourself. If you don’t have the money surely someone will loan you $20 to make his car safe. When he’s gone there’s no bringing him back. My dad was stubborn and wanted to do things economically too, but knew the importance of keeping his vehicles in proper operating condition. THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS CONDITION, NOT ONLY FOR OTHERS, BUT ALSO FOR YOUR DAD.

I find it interesting that he is going for a medical check up. Quite a character.

Maybe Dr Phil will drop in here with some advice. Personally, I would cut the tires and call him a cab.

If Dr. Phil drops in, he can just keep on dropping… off a cliff would be fine with me.

Eventually, it may be necessary to take the keys away, but I don’t think it’s nearly time yet. If everyone had to understand the nuances of how the technology they use on a daily basis worked, only a select few would be able to use anything. I work in IT, and you might be surprised at how many otherwise brilliant engineers are utterly clueless about how the computers that they’ve used for years actually work.

The car obviously needs to be fixed. Not only is it a really bad idea to drive with reduced braking ability, but with an older person that has maybe a little slower reflexes, it’s even more important to have a good set of brakes.

I agree with the posters that have said that it’s time to just step in and get it fixed for dad. Just borrow the car and get it fixed, eating the cost if you have to. Tell him your buddy did it for a 12-pack if he’s worried about wasting money.

I don’t have the funds to get it fixed, If I did, I would, but with all my own bills, I don’t have the funds. I must take care of my own bills first. I offered to drive my dad wherever he needed to go, and he refused, so my hope now is he takes out a large tree, destroys the car without much harm to him and the problem is solved as he has no car insurance covering his car, so no more car. Dad refuses to give up his keys, we tried, and he said the car is safe as he drove it around this weekend going to get himself some dinner.

I cannot believe I’m saying this. I’m rightfully ashamed. However, if your dad truly refuses to bring the vehicle to a shop, and if you truly refuse to get it repaired for him, AND if the leak is in a hardline, at least put a piece of brake tubing around it and some small worm-drive clamps over it.

NOTE: this is NOT a good fix. And it is NOT recommended. And it should be tested thoroughly. But it’s better than tape.

Please, do NOT consider this a recommendation of a fix. Just an improvement over what you and he seem willing to do. I urge you, I beg you, I am on my knees, take it to a shop and get it fixed properly.

Back to your original question about how much it would cost. I just looked up the cost of 4 new rubber brake lines for a '97 Neon on www.rockauto.com The total cost for 4 new lines, one for each wheel is $43.01 including shipping to my zip code. They didn’t list the hard lines. If this will fix the problem and your dad will buy the parts I’ll come change them for him at no charge (therefore no labor) if he lives within 100 miles. I’m in Russellville, KY. Let me know if I can help you. It seems everyone here knows the dangers of this problem except your dad and are willing to help. I’m with “the same mountainbike” a piece of reinforced line the same diameter as the hard line over the hole and secured with worm drive clamps would be better than tape.