Best way to merge left?

Yeah. In defense though, if you are directly behind a large truck, it is hard to see the road signs, particularly if you are not familiar with the area. Same thing with trucks on the side of you. Just the way it is.

I get a lot of NY drivers in my area
Oh wait I live there. unfortunately. LOL
I lived in Florida for a while. they are not much better.

I do that before I put the items in the cart to check for breakage and freshness. Later than that is silly.

Those are New Jersey signs and only apply to New Jersey drivers, right? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Try that in NH and MA sometime. The driving attitude here is (I NEED TO GET IN FRONT OF YOU AT ALL COST). The person who is waiting for a zipper merge will be passed and cut off by every other car on the road.

+1
It’s not only silly. It’s also illogical, plus inconsiderate toward those who are waiting in line.

In my opinion there are pros and cons to both methods.

If both lanes are used, it increases the amount of cars that can wait in line before the line of cars gets really long. This isn’t always an advantage though. It also keeps things fair by preventing drivers from racing to the end to but it. The big disadvantage is that cars that need to turn off before the bottle neck can’t use the open lane to go past all the stopped traffic. The other disadvantage is that emergency vehicles can’t get through.

If everyone waits in one line it keeps the other lane open for emergency vehicles and cars that need to turn off before the bottle neck. It also makes the line of cars longer so that new drivers entering the traffic jam have an earlier warning to decide to go a different way. It also keeps a lane open for people who want to go ahead and then turn around to go a different way. The problem is that some cars go all the way to the end in the open lane and then aggressively merge in at the end. This usually brings the whole line of cars to a halt for a few moments as the cars at the end sort things out with the driver who cut in line and want to give them a hard time for merging in at the end. Each car that does this brings the whole line to a halt for a few moments.

I think staying in one lane is best. There is the attitude of not letting anyone in front of you. Even when I try to merge in at the beginning of the line after only passing 10 cars or so they don’t want to let me in. They don’t realize that if I keep going I’ll eventually merge in and it will slow them down just as much either way since I will be ahead either way.

If you’re in a single lane with one lane open and some cars are cutting to the end of the line, you can just change lanes and drive parallel to the line of cars that you left. Every car that you let pass you by not doing this is going to slow you and everybody in front of you down by several seconds.

Did you ever even learn how to drive?

1 Like

How do deal with people like you who know how to drive and try to cut in at the very end? Yes :slight_smile:

In NH and MA that’s not just one car. It’s a line of cars (50+).

The merge lane is there to give the merger time to match speed and find a safe traffic entry point. I was taught (longer ago than I care to admit) to merge as soon as safe. From what I observe drivers today must be taught that you can ignore everything around you and when you run out of lane it is your turn to just turn into traffic. The guys who speed up to keep you from merging are another story.

1 Like

New Jersey: only home of the jug-handle left turn

except for Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Ohio, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New York, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, and Vermont, all of which also have jughandles for left turns.

Did NJ’s Highway Department invent them?
Yes
Are they more prevalent in NJ than in any other state?
Again, yes, and the reason is that a relatively small state–with the highest concentration of both population and traffic density–simply doesn’t always have the room that would be needed to add an extra turn lane on old highways that are hemmed-in by 300+ years of development.

I give up, what is a jug handle left turn?

2 Likes

VDC can probably describe it better than I can . But if you put ( jug handle turn ) in Google it will show several examples . Frankly I don’t see why it is so confusing to people and in many places it will be the safest way to turn left . I have been using 3 right turns for a left for years.

Luckily I live in Hawaii where almost no one speeds up behind you to keep you from merging. Drivers are very courteous here compared to those on the East Coast where I grew up. Incredibly also no one ever honks their car horn here almost.

Thank you, I Google after posting the question. Looks dangerous if there is no light to stop cross traffic.

It would be, but every intersection with a jughandle in NJ is controlled by traffic lights.
I would hope that the other 12 states with jughandles do likewise, but I can’t say for sure.

They tried that at an intersection near me, only one in the area, folks hated it, changed it back.

The jughadles they put in in MN have no traffic lights, want to turn right fine, want to turn left, turn right and go to the jughandle, then go left. Intersection has a solid median.