Best V8 to build and swap

I was speaking of Studebaker’s 289 engine not being a big block. Yes, four speeds, I think, became available in 1961 along with bucket seats on Hawks.

1 Like

Very doable, depending on what one’s definition of a “performance car” is. I can guarantee you that I could get a “performance car” for far less than $15k, especially something like a Toyota Celica, Honda Prelude, etc. Toyota sold several sports cars under the Scion name, which can be had now in excellent condition for less than half of this hypothetical $15k budget. So could a well-preserved stock Celica or Prelude.

Maybe, maybe not. People say that you can put any engine into any car (emissions regulations aside). Is this true? I don’t know. It would certainly be more effort than I am willing to expend. Every now and then, you see some weird combination such as a 1980’s Toyota Pickup with a Chevrolet V-8 or V-6.

To be honest, people nowadays have unrealistic expectations of performance. What makes a car feel “fast” is how quickly it can accelerate from a standstill, and that is determined by torque at low RPMs, not maximum horsepower. That is why cars in the 1980’s and 1990’s got by with less than 150 hp, but still delivered excellent performance and fuel economy.

I’d like to see whether someone could fit an American V-8 under the hood of a formerly four-cylinder front wheel drive sub-compact or compact–and connect it to the existing transmission. Something tells me that it would be impossible to get that mill under the hood.

I’m sure it could be done, but why would you ever want to do such a thing? Audi stuffed a V-8 engine into a car which was originally designed for a 4-cylinder, and the result was a car that no one could work on, even for routine maintenance.

1 Like

Sorry , but your ideas of performance and sport cars does not really match the general opinion .

1 Like

Possible to shove a 302 into anbearly Ford Focus but also imvolves a Rwf conversion and the trans from a v8 ford. There might still be a conversion kit. With AWD im euro msrket cars its already with the driveshaft tunnel.

All of the above comments emphasize the importance of considering the vehicle as a whole.

The available space, the drive train, the suspension, the brakeing, the weight distribution and even the tires all affect the driverabilty of the vehicle.

Reminds me of a 1960’s Triumph Spitfire V8 conversion, quick off the line but turning and stopping was a joke.

1 Like

Last video is an hour long of a full build V8 Miata

Sure, but those V-8s were obviously not connected to the Civics’ existing transmissions.

Yeah. Those 4cyl transmissions would probably grenade themselves if they could even be fitted to the engine.