Best Small Car?

Exactly right; these are the ones I’m considering; why would I list other small cars I wouldn’t consider? I also agree that there are considerations other than mileage; for instance, I want a hatchback. I’m finding in looking at used models (unless I bought one “just to get by”), I’m not finding the features that are important to me – namely, very FEW features - nor the style, transmission, and color I want; there simply aren’t enough out there. So, cheap though I am (I don’t resell; I drive them into the ground), I’m considering buying new to get what I want, for the warranty, and because these “loaded” used models actually cost more than a pared-down new. I commute long distances on isolated roads (and am a woman), so – as much as I love my little gas miser – I’m getting a little nervous about its age… Thanks for all the input; I’m really leaning toward the Yaris simply because I’m a Toyota girl and because the Fit, Versa, etc., all look too much like a mini-SUV to me; I don’t need five doors, for starters.

I believe the Rabbit requires premium gas.

Agree that cars are quite heavy considering their size. Way back in college I had an old beater 4 door 1948 Chevy. It was a very roomy car and had no accessories whatsoever. I do remember putting ot on the scales and it weighed only 2950 lbs with half a tank of gas! My 2007 Corolla, a much smaller car, weighs almost as much. All the mandated equipment and comfort accessories drive up the weight. This will not change until more aluminum, light weight alloys, plastic and carbon fiber are used. Most of these are expensive, but will eventually be used as the CAFE mileage standards take a bite.

If you want to stay very basic and cheap to buy and run, the Hyundai Accent and 2 door Yaris are your best bets. These sell for very little and both are reliable, the Yaris is one of the best cars Toyota makes! It’s probably the most bullet-proof little car on the market today!

Other poster thought you were interested in the best combination of economy, reliability, and comfort. That would give different answers.

There isn’t a technology issue that’s preventing higher gas mileage-it’s a weight issue.

I believe weight is a technology issue. Have you seen the carbon fiber being developed for use in car bodies? If this isn’t a technological innovation, I don’t know what is. If this innovation makes it to the automotive assembly lines, it will take some time. I believe we will find those new cars put the current crop of econoboxes to shame when it comes to fuel economy. Carbon fiber car bodies give you the best of both worlds. You will have all that safety equipment and the cars will be light weight.

Why should the OP list cars that she isn’t interested in? She doesn’t appear to be limiting the discussion to examples he has listed. If you want to withhold your opinion for such a petty reason…oh, never mind…your refusal to participate in the discussion might a good decision after all.

Otterhere- if you had no intention of considering the Honda Fit why did you even list it? Most of the folks here have recommended the Fit because it’s a superior small car, but now you say you won’t consider it because of styling?

In any case, it sounds like you just want a Yaris, so if that’s the case make sure it has ABS because the non-ABS model has very poor braking, and is a little dangerous if you ask me. It may be reliable, but the Yaris is just not up to par in many categories.

“Have you seen the carbon fiber being developed for use in car bodies?”

Yeah, but the cost is outrageous. A quick on line search seems to show that they aren’t for sale to the general public. You can buy them if you want to race, but not for the street. Note that F1 uses them and carbon-carbon composite bodies. These are two of the reasons that F1 cars cost so much. I don’t expect to see them in cars that we might buy soon. Are you aware of any commercially available cars that use carbon fiber bodies?

What do you mean by “poor braking”…“a little dangerous”??? In what way. In my book, lack of ABS is a good thing…hopefully it only has two or less air bags also. The less of that superfluous junk, the better. I vote for a Yaris as the best small car I’ve seen so far, although I still think they can do better.

Lack of ABS and air bags a good thing? I’m not going to dignify that with a response.

As for the Yaris the non-ABS model takes a full 35 feet longer to come to a stop from 60mph in the wet than the ABS model. The total distance is 186 feet which is awful. To put that into perspective a mid-size SUV like a Ford Explorer can do it in 162 feet. In dry conditions the non-ABS model takes a full 24 feet more to come to a stop versus the ABS model. Such awful brakes in such a little car is unacceptable to me.

Corolla
more comfort, bigger trunk
mpg better than Fit, Versa,Scion

I disagree on the mpg.

The 2009 Corolla gets 23 city 40 highway in testing.
The Yaris achieves 23 city 44 highway with an auto, and 26 city 42 highway with a stick.
The Fit achieves 22 city 43 highway with an auto, and 26 city 39 highway with a stick.

Have to keep the facts straight here.

Welllll,I agree a Corolla is more comfortable,but doesn’t get the MPG of Fit,Yaris os Scion
The Fit is being redsigned for 09

I have an 08 mazda 3 and it’s the I new Value 2.0and it’s loaded.
However, it’s built to be light. There is no carpeting just felt with mats velcroed on top of felt. The front end is all plastic (scary). Also all the Mazda’s come with a cigarette lighter and ash tray.
The car is a head turner though,Galaxcy Grey ,rear lip spoiler, a BMW shark finn antenna on it instead of unscewing the antenna that came with it going through a car wash.It has styrofoam in between bumper and radiator? Stiff ride,but has sport car feeling,corners nice and has plenty of Zoom Zoom for me . mpg 28 city 33 highway. Drive Safe.

I believe it. The new corolla with a 5-speed can reliably get around 40 mpg if you are only doing highway driving. Getting 42 mpg or even more seems reasonable with a yaris.

“Why would I check your math? I did catch a fish this big. I swear!”

Got pictures of it? :wink:

“The Fit is being redsigned for 09”

Hopefully with a higher 5th gear or better yet, a sixth gear that’s an overdrive. Lots of Fit owners complain about the manual transmission’s “buzz bomb” gearing on one of the major hypermiling forums.

The manual transmission Yaris could use a higher fifth gear also.

With all due respect, I don’t care how many feet it takes to stop from 60mph under any conditions…more useless information AFAIC. I just feel that modern cars are needlessly complicated and much of this “safety” stuff is totally unnecessary. I’m no psychologist, but it seems as if adding more safety gadgetry just serves to reinforce a driver’s tendency to complacency and recklessness. Why can’t I buy a modern car with just simple brakes and seat belts? I think I’ll save up my $$ and buy the ultimate in automobile minimalism…the Citroen 2CV. Now there’s simple basic transportation and economy!

I am a “buy the home product” type person. I believe that the brands noted are all made abroad. Our country is losing its manufacturing capabilty and I am very concerned about that and how it will affect our long term prosperity. Two of our three cars are made in the US; the third, a Chevrolet Cavalier, to my surprise, was made in Mexico. I will never buy a new car manufactured abroad again; I promise!

Check out the forthcoming Chevrolet Cobalt XFE; good for 36 MPG and made in Ohio. Cobalts have been around for a while.

I’ll start buying U.S. made cars when the quality and performance improves. A Cobalt to me is not a good car. I checked one out in person and the interior looks positively cheap. On top of that the car has fair-at-best reliability, numb steering and lousy resale value.

I shouldn’t have to prop up poorly run companies-when they build a great car I’ll buy it.