Best mpg car for commuting

I drive 65 miles each way every day. I would not be able to function if I drove an econo box. My C class Mercedes (bought used ) gets 28-29 MPG and is a great ride. It just passed 200,000. What would be better?

Thanks for the great comments . . . I agree about the driving style issue, some folks can’t seem to “get it” and won’t adjust their driving style. She seems to be late a lot and drives 80 to make up the difference. I always thought that the Subie should’ve returned better mpg. Perhaps a small block of wood under the gas pedal? Kidding. Thanks again! Rocketman

Well if she’s driving 80 a lot…don’t expect her new car to get anywhere near the EPA estimates it says on the window. This is making less sense more and more.

IMHO, the c-class would be better is they sold it in the U.S. with the current CDI engine, then it would be closer to 35-40 mpg.

Be VERY careful falling for the subcompact sales pitch on mpg

Have you ever looked at what a Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, or Nissan Versa will get you?

Owners of 2008 Honda Fits (28/34 rating) with a manual are reporting an average of 33.3 mpg
Owners of 2008 Honda Civics (26/34 rating) with a manual are reporting an average of 33.1 mpg
Owners of 2008 Toyota Yaris (29/36 rating) with a manual are reporting an average of 35.2 mpg
Owners of 2007 Toyota Corollas (28/37 rating, not enough 2008s in the sample yet) with a manual are reporting an average of 36.1 mpg
Owners of 2007 Nissan Versa (26/31 rating) with a manual are reporting an average of 29.5 mpg
Owners of 2005-2007 Nissan Sentras(24/31 rating) with a manual are reporting an average of about 29.0 mpg
Owners of 2007 Ford Focus (24/33 rating) with a manual are reporting an average of 31.3 mpg
Owners of 2008 Ford Focus (24/35 rating) with a manual are reporting an average of 35.4 mpg (too small of a sample size, but just to point out that the new one is actually doing better yet)

Rank order those and you’ll get:

Toyota Corolla (36.1)
(new gen Ford Focus?)
Toyota Yaris (35.2)
Honda Fit (33.3)
Honda Civic (33.1)
previous gen. Ford Focus (31.3)
Nissan Versa (29.5)
Nissan Sentra (29.0)

The point? Some of those subcompacts are doing worse than their larger sibling or the competition’s larger vehicles. Some significantly worse. You can get that 2007 Focus new (leftovers) for a fraction of the price of a new 2008 Versa - local dealers here are clearing them out for $8900. And you’re likely to get better mileage.

If she wants a wagon that gets awesome gas mileage, I highly recommend the Toyota Matrix. I just traded mine in for a VW, but I miss the mileage. I routinely got 32-35 mpg on highway trips, and having a wagon was very handy. She could probably get a used one at a decent price.

My 2002 Impreza WRX gets 26 mpg on the highway, and about 21 in the city.