Best Gas Type & Gas Station?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t there a fee associated with TTG status, or at least isn’t the testing needed to verify compliance somewhat pricey? I understand that many non-certified station may have TTG-quality gas…just not care to pay for the “gold star” saying so.

If the gas station sells Top Tier gasoline, the pumps have a placard that states, “Guaranteed Top Tier Gasoline.”

The station pays no fee for the Top Tier certification if they sell Top Tier gasoline.

The gasoline is tested at local university’s that already work with the EPA on research and development of vehicle emissions.

The gasoline is obtained when the pumps are tested for accuracy by the states Department of Weights and Measures.

Tester

From the FAQ’s at toptiergas.com:

What does it cost to sign up for the TT program?

There is an annual fee based on the number of service stations owned by the fuel marketer.

What does the performance testing cost and who pays for it?

The performance testing costs will vary depending on the independent ISO 17025 certified lab that is hired to run the tests. The total cost of all testing can be in the range of $25,000 – $30,000. The detergent additive company pays for the testing; they select the treat rate that they think will pass the TOP TIER performance specification limits. Once they have a Pass, they inform their fuel marketing customers of the detergency treat rate required to be in the TOP TIER program. It is then up to the fuel marketers to decide if they want to treat their gasoline at the prescribed detergency treat rate.