Best battery for 2017 Subaru Outback

I wouldn’t purchase a car battery online but I have been buying Sears merchandise for many years online, all you need is a computer or smart phone, not a big heavy catalog.

I buy my batteries at Walmart. Their prices are usually very good, even for the deluxe ones with a warranty. We had one go bad suddenly once, and when I returned it to the store (with the receipt), it turns out it was like a week under the 3 year replacement warranty. They gave me a new one off the shelf. There are Walmarts everywhere, should the battery go bad when I’m out of town, too.

I used to enjoy shopping at Sears. It was the place to go for everything when I was a kid. The last time I went to one was a strange experience. I think there was 1 or at most 2 salespersons on the entire sale floor, spanning several departments. Shelves were not stocked well or in disarray. They had loud rap-type music playing over the sound system, and all of the customers in there were generally over 60. Meaning there was no way for people to get help making a purchase, if they could find their item to purchase, and the environment wasn’t terribly inviting for the customers they did have in the store. It was sad.

You can just go by the parts chart at places selling batteries, and choose the highest optimal cold cranking amps (CCA) for your car, its accessories, and the driving environment (cold or hot climate). However, if you are looking for a name brand, I absolutely love the Interstate batteries. They are a bit pricey, but boy are they great. The Die Hard batteries have good reviews, but I have never tried them.

I would spend the extra for a premium battery…especially for a premium car stereo…that you want to hear all the depth and warmth from. But if normal is good enough for you (and cost is a consideration), just shop at discount auto stores for the recommended OEM battery for your battery group.

Note: Interstate batteries from my experience, last a very long time. It might make more sense and more cost effective to buy them from the start; there are discounts available…check the internet.

Interstate batteries are the “house brand” at Costco. While they don’t install batteries, Costco’s price would likely be lower than anyone else’s.

It has been 8 days since Susan posted so I would imagine she has a battery by now.

The battery makes a difference as to the sound of a vehicle sound system ? Seriously ?

4 Likes

I found cheaper at my friendly repair shop, who also happened to be an authorized Interstate battery sales dealer. The cost was cheaper than Costco with free installation also. Costco is a great place to shop though…for most things…unless you are a die-hard deal seeker like me.

Yes, seriously. I am a audiophile. I have owned many expensive and great sounding car stereo systems. The regular OEM batteries do not give that extra oomph or dynamic head range as do the premium batteries, like the Interstate batteries.

Interstate batteries could be made by either Johnson Controls or Exide depending on who won the contract . I think they are the only two companies that make batteries in the US now. So that house brand battery could be the same as one with the Interstate label on it.

Interstate is actually a trademark owned by Johnson Controls.
And, I have found that the Interstate batteries at Costco have the exact same stats/ratings as Diehard’s more expensive batteries.

Sorry, I am not buying that theory that the battery manufacturer and especially since Interstate batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls; who also makes batteries for Wal Mart and other vendors.

This smacks of the Smashing Pumpkins guitarist Billy Corgan who stated that the color of a guitar can give it a different tone.

1 Like

I am trying to envision how this could possibly be true. Amps (amperage) are amps, and volts are volts. Plus, isn’t the car running most of the time one listens to the stereo? Then the alternator comes into play. :confused:

Only a true audiophile could tell. You get similar specs (CCA and all) in a AutoZone or other general auto discount store for a battery…there is a marked difference in the output of sound coming from the stereo. I have installed premium stereo systems for a number of years in cars that I have owned. And believe it or not, it is not just the right volts and amps coming from a battery. The battery’s innate qualities itself, can add to a more deep and robust dynamic head range.

Only a true audiophile would think there’s a difference.

There, I fixed it for you.

4 Likes

Audiophiles do not think when it comes to getting best quality sound. They listen…they learn…they know.

Me thinks that is nonsense .

3 Likes

Sorry, Rick, but I’d bet serious money that in a double blind test nobody, including you, could discern the difference in sound between alternative equally-capable batteries. I once was afflicted with audiophile syndrome, since cured.

3 Likes

Been there…done that many times…I can tell. It is the nuances of sound that specs alone can not give you. It is that, that audiophiles pay attention to the most. It is similar to speaker wire. Not every same gauge speaker wire produces the greatest sound; I am sure you know the top names for best performance…since you being an audiophile.

Can you explain what about the battery, beyond capacity, causes changes in sound quality? I am inclined to think the placebo effect is in action here.

4 Likes

I have seen a few customers cars that had a second battery mounted in the trunk near the amplifier to reduce power surge. I don’t know if it makes any difference in sound quality but stereo shops have been doing this.

I don’t think Johnson Controls or Exide batteries are U.S. made, but Deka/East Penn Manufacturing batteries are. Ever since I bought one of their batteries for my 2004 Corolla several years ago, I won’t touch any other brand.