Bentley: What Makes it a Good Car?

Either Popular Mechanics or Mechanix Illustrated used to have a pictorial column showing how you could convert one tool–permanently–into another. I recall their graphic instructions for converting a chisel into a screwdriver (or, was it the opposite?), and I always thought that it was pretty useless. Sure, you could do it, but… why?

I have made tools rather than drive all the way to town for one thing or when the stores are closed. If some cheaper grade of tool, you are money ahead to hack it apart to make a tool to save a trip to town and just replace it when you go the next time around. You can save the hacked up tool for that purpose in the future. I am talking about like cutting a wrench in half to fit it in a tight spot, etc. I made snap ring pliers out of some cheap needle nose by grinding the tips once as well.

My most recent example of this was made of scrap metal on my farm. One of my trucks was in the shop and my spare tire tool was in that truck. I needed the tool for a truck at my place. First, I called all the parts stores to see if they sold this tool. Then I called Harbor Freight, Lowes, and Menards. They didn’t sell this either or were out of stock.

I had an L shaped piece of rebar on my property in a scrap pile. I ground the long end of the L to a flat tip like a big flat bladed screwdriver and it worked wonders for lowering the spare tire. This will go in my shed as an extra one of these tools. The only thing missing is the lug wrench on the other end.

1 Like

I just made a heavy duty spring puller a couple days ago. I’m going to need to drop my mower transmission again and the hardest part is getting a very heavy duty spring off and on again. I broke two in the past that I made so this is a refined version. Haven’t been able to find anything heavy duty enough. It’s the kind of spring that you have to brace yourself with both feet an pull with all your might to get it back on again. Leverage will help.

I decided to try an inexpensive cable ratchet-wench to pull (lengthen) replacement garage door springs during an install. Worked well. I’ve used that same tool, along with a very thick steel bar for add’l leverage, to lift heavy sections of cement. It’s a pretty versatile tool. I home-brewed a small press using construction lumber and freebie bottle jack. Did the job, but wood supports started to show signs of failure. If one day I dare actually turning on my MIG welder, might make some tools with that too … lol … .

Flying Spur next to me at traffic light. To me, boring styling plus boring color. Nice size sedan.