Bent steel wheel and rim

mountainbike

I hope your daughter’s boyfriend is not a flake. Yeah, hopefully he doesn’t let the tires go flat and/or let the engine run out of oil

And if he is good with car maintenance, hopefully he’s a good man and your daughter stays with him

“Exactly how accurate does a lug nut have to be?”

There’s probably a good degree of leeway, but I feel most comfortable using the manufacturer’s specs as a guide. I could say accuracy within + or - 10% is OK, but that would just be a hunch, founded on our base 10 number system and not upon any engineering study.

One thing the torque wrench provides is some assurance that the torque on each fastener is about equal to the torque on the others. As to lug nuts, that helps prevent warpage of brake discs. That’s in addition to the fundamental goal: to keep the wheels from falling off.

I did once, in my youth, have a wheel get loose on my Fiat 128, with 3 passengers on board. That experience has probably contributed to my by-the-book workmanship on wheel torque.

Db, my daughter is a beautiful, smart, energetic, hard working woman who if she only had one hot dog and saw someone hungry would share that hot dog with them. She just has absolutely zero interest in mechanical things.

Her BF is, as it happens, good with cars, however as long as he’s a good man and good to her I couldn’t care less about that.

I should point out that one of the kindest, most gentle, most honest, decent, and compassionate people I’ve ever know has been called by others a “flake”, It’s important to not use terms like that loosely. Some of those “flakes” are God’s gifts to the rest of us.