BBB claims it is making changes

First, a bit of clarification. There is no “Connecticut Division” of the BBB. The BBB is exactly as CapriRacer described, simply a (generally statewide) member organization to which the members pay a subscription and with a set of “bylaws” that the members swear to follow. It has no authority to resolve disputes.

However, many states have a Consumer Affairs Division of the State Attorney General’s office and they can investigate complaints, and if violations of law are discovered they can refer the matter to the AG for action up to and including criminal prosecution.

I had a new car many years ago that was involved in such an investigation. I recieved a letter asking me to bring the car in at my convenience (optional days were offered) for review of the work (allegedly) done. Mine was one of a number of cars that were reviewed that day. Representatives from the AG’s office oversaw the review by the dealer’s mechanic. I was told upon asking that it was part of an AG investigation. I received a full refund on the spot. I never did find out the details.

The story I read dealt only with actions taken by the BBB in the State of Conneticut. The article did not make me feel that all BBB outlets within the US were taking part in the changes I mentioned, perhaps they are but the story only mentioned what was happening in Conneticut and did not mention any other BBB except for the BBB in the State of Conneticut

Why was it incorrect to refer to the portion of the National BBB that is making these changes by the State it operates in? It was not made clear that every BBB was adopting these changes.What would you call the portion of the BBB that operates in Conneticut?