Battery

1996 toy corolla I have a battery in car that is dated 8 yrs old I know a battery life is around 4 or 5 years .I went to a national parts store about two yrs ago and happen to talk with a ex mechanic working there and he said some batterys will last much longer im now wondering if its time to get a new one .it is working fine now

If it stops working and you have to call for a jump start, will it be a major inconvenience? No? Then keep it till it dies. Otherwise, you got at least 3 more years out of it than you should have. Replace it.

If being stranded some day with a dead battery is a big deal to you, get a new one now. If not, then just keep going. When the battery dies, replacing it is pretty easy.

I have an '03 Honda Civic I purchased new and it still has the original battery. I have a jumper box, and other cars I can use if needed so I’ll go with it until it dies on me someday.

In my experience it depends on what kind of climate you live in. Either way you are pushing the envelope. In hot areas they will just up and die, in cold climates one chilly morning it will not start, 7 years on my battery and considering preemptive replacement for the upcoming winter.

It is the heat of summer that accelerates damage to the battery, and cold winter days that show the problems. A battery’s capacity can be checked with analyzers that apply and measure the battery’s reaction to various amperage loads.

The type of battery is also a factor in this equation. I put a 850 CCA battery in my truck once. The truck only required a 470 CCA battery. That battery lasted 10 years before the capacity dropped to the point where it started to give me slow starts.

I have an 8 year old battery on my 93 Caprice. I only drive it 2 to 3k miles a year. I use a Battery Tender to keep the battery at full charge (12.6 to 12.7V) and check the voltage with a multimeter on a regular basis.

That said, I will probably replace it once I pay off the new well. Batteries can be fine one day and dead the next. If the Corolla is your daily driver, consider replacing the battery before winter sets in.

Ed B.

I suggest either replacing it now, or taking it into an auto parts store and ask them to test it. Have it tested about ever 6 months and replace it when the test indicates a problem.

Life of a battery can vary greatly depending on a number of factors.