Battery Tracking or Tracing

Does anyone know how to find out whether the battery that is in a car (new dealer demo) is the original battery that came with the car?

Further, does anyone know whether the dealership, in this case, is responsible for whatever battery is in the car at the time that it was sold to me?

Lastly, will the maintenance and repair inspection reports for the car, just prior to the time it was sold to me, list the serial number of the battery that was in the car?

Answer to MatildaHaywood

Many batteries have stickers you can decode the date installed, I do not know where to look for serial numbers, more info needed, as I have to assume you bought a new car that you think the battery had been swapped by an unscrupulous test driver, and now you have to replace the battery as it is not under warranty. If this is the case let us know year of the car and brand and model of the battery, maybe someone will know if it is original equipment.

Thanks.

It is a PowerVolt battery made in Mexico. The car is a 2007 PT Cruiser Tour Edition. The car was a dealer demo, so they had driven it for a good 9-12 months or so, then sold it to me.

About four months ago, my back windows began going up and down “at will.” Then a week ago, my front windows did the same thing once. Also, the day after the front windows did that, the car stalled and wouldn’t turn over. I called roadside and only needed a jump. I took it in to Chrysler just this past Friday, and the mechanic said that the battery was too small for the car (it needs a mopar battery or one the same size). He said the battery began draining the electrical circuitry because it was the wrong battery; then the battery itself began cutting the car off. I purchased a new mopar battery, and the car has been fine ever since.

Thus, I am wondering whether, even though the 30-day warranty on the battery is waaaaay past, the dealership should not still be responsible for the fact that the incorrect battery was in the car when they sold it to me. Maybe their repair and maintenance inspection reports would show what battery actually was in the car at the time that they sold it to me.

I see numbers from 1 to 20 on top of the battery and a note saying select an applicable number when it is brought in for warranty replacement. When I talked to the dealership manager, he said nothing could be done because I didn’t bring it in within the 30 days. Duh! Why would I take the car in within 30 days when I didn’t know this stuff until now? I think there’s fraud involved because somebody had to know that that battery was not right for the car. They even had it marked down, and now I know why.

I like the idea of the sticker which can be decoded to show the date the battery was installed. Can I find that or would a mechanic/dealer have to look for it?

Your chance to get the right battery put in was just before you signed to buy it. Yes, the dealer should be better to you and make this right, but legally you are stuck. Forget it. The battery didn’t cost that much. Move on…

Batteries don’t have serial numbers and PowerVolt is Interstate Battery’s cheapest line. Generally 72 month total pro-rate warrant 12 months free BUT you’d need to be the purchaser of it or have the receipt from the person who did. Interstate makes many levels of good batteries, but when someone is out to spend absolutely as little as possible to put in a battery then any battery will do to get the car off their hands.
Your best bet now is invest in the right battery for you application and you will own the warranty. You can buy quality batteries at many places like Auto Zone, O’Reilly, Car Quest, Dodge dealers etc.
THIS is case in point, however, why you should NOT but the cheapest just because it costs less.

even though the 30-day warranty on the battery is waaaaay past,

That is your answer. Nothing else matters. The dealer does not owe you a thing. You can ask them for a deal and they may offer a deal on a new battery, but don’t hold your breath. That is why the battery has a separate warranty.

Post the specs. on the battery that is considered correct and also post the specs. on the battery that is considered incorrect.Look for a “CCA” value.

You are incorrectly connecting problems with your car to a “wrong” battery.It did not cause your window operation problem and the mechanics statement as you relate it is suspect.

Probably the most important thing to verify you bought, “as is”? or “as is” with a 30 day warranty?

Some cars become dealer demos because thee is something wrong with them. If I were a dealer, I might be inclined to give you a free battery. I can say that because I’m not one. I can give away anything as long as it is imaginary. Buyers beware, dealer demo is not the best way to avoid walking. The dealer should be responsible for insuring that the battery is the right one for the car. You will tell many people that they cost you money. The mechanic seemed to know that you needed a proper battery as long as you were paying. When they are paying, any old thing will do.