Battery or alternator

My 01 Corolla suddenly could not start this morning. When I turned the key, just click,click, no engine turn over. This afternoon, I tried to jump start, it did start, and it kept runing even after I disconnected the jump cable. After running about 3-4 minutes, I turned off the engine and it could be started right away. But after waiting for 2 more minutes, it could not be started again. Could someone tell me a easy way to find out whether it is the dead battery or an alternator problem? I was told if it is the alternator problem, I’d better not drive the car, because it could stop running at anytime even you jump start it. Please help. Thanks.

Sounds like the battery needs to be replaced. Before you buy one at the auto parts store, have them throw on a voltmeter to check the voltage at the battery with the engine running, it should be anywhere from 13-15 volts. This will prove that the alternator is working and trying to charge the battery. Sounds like your battery is just too old, it’s probaby the original and has just lost its charge overtime or lost a cell or something. Good luck.

AN AUTO PARTS STORE WILL DO A LOAD TEST ON YOUR BATTERY IF YOU TAKE IT TO THEM. tHAT WILL LET YOU KNOW IF ITS THE BATTERY OR THE ALT.