Battery Light

My Buick Rendezvous has 90K miles. I was driving up a long incline and the battery light came on, then went off, then came back on. I had some problems with the battery in the past (ie-dead, needed jump) so as soon as I got to my destination, I got a new battery. That was less than 6 months ago.

Since then, I bought a small travel trailer that weighs 1600 pounds. The Buick can tow 2000 pounds without the tow package and 3500 with the package. I did not have the factory tow package but had a high output alternator installed. I tried to get the upgraded radiator installed but apparently that radiator is the same as the factory radiator. (My mechanic and I spent a lot of time trying to figure that one out.) The only other item on the tow package is self leveling springs. As you can see, none of this has to do with more towing power (although the radiator protects the engine from getting too hot under the higher strain.) Even without the upgrades I did, my Buick can still tow the tiny travel trailer. I did the upgrades to be extra safe and protect my car.

So… I was towing the trailer up a steep hill and the battery light came on, then went off. What does putting extra stress on the engine have to do with the car’s battery? If the light goes back off, does that mean the ?danger? is past?

What it means is that you should start by cleaning and tightening all of your power cable connections - battery, starter, alternator, grounds. Then you should have the system load tested. Many auto parts stores do this for free.

That “battery” light does not mean there is a problem with the battery. It means there is a problem with the charging system, possibly the alternator.

That “battery” light does not mean there is a problem with the battery. It means there is a problem with the charging system, possibly the alternator. Or the battery.

I don’t know about GM, but with Ford, the “battery” light only indicates an alternator (or the wiring to it) failure.