Battery light

The battery light on my '94 Toyota keeps coming on. I took the car to a mechanic–he said I needed a new alternator. New alternator was purchased but that did not solve the problem. My battery is less thaa a year old and I have 70,000 miles on my car. Anyone know what the problems is? Thank you in advance for any input provided.

The alternator was most likely remanufactured and could be defective. You might also have damaged or corroded wiring somewhere in your starting/charging system. Any half way competent mechanic should be able to narrow it down without too much difficulty.

Thank you. After your reply, I called and made an appointment with the mechanic again. My last visit cost me $534.00 which included the price of alternator, replacement of hoses and oil change. I am 65 and still working and will continue to do so as long as I can and need to keep this car for many years to come. I hope that I am not being unrealistic about keeping the car.

Your car should be good for some time to come. If the alternator is bad, and it would not surprise me if it is, it should be replaced for free.

Thanks to you and the other individual who answered my question. The alternator was bad and it was replaced free of charge. I’m feeling good!!

Susan, many people buy a new car or a really good fairly new used one, before they retire so they need not do it on reduced retirement income. Of course, this is a personal value judgment, I am just telling you what others have done. This car is 15 years old, and parts will eventually become harder to get.

Thank you for your input. I have been concentrating on keeping this car maintained and saving as much money as I can. I appreciate your time and consideration.