Battery charging question

After reading all the kind responses, please correct me if I’m wrong in my summary understanding:

• I likely won’t have trouble starting the car in a few more days. If I do, use my AAA membership.

• A good drive of 20 miles or more is normally sufficient for the alternator to charge the battery back up so my usual 33-35 mile round trip route should be far enough even in this case???

• The map light likely didn’t draw down the battery badly.

• Given my situation I don’t really need to buy a battery maintainer, at least not so long as I can take a reasonable drive every few weeks. But if ever I do get one I need be sure I get a battery maintainer and not a trickle charger.

• I’ve actually been over-reacting to this trivial fiasco but have learned some more about proper maintenance of my car going forward.

• My two cats should get drivers licenses so one can work the pedals while the other steers … hmm, nah, they’d scratch the apholstery. :upside_down_face::grin:

Thanks again everyone for your kind patience with me.

3 Likes

Back before “smart” battery maintainers were readily available there was a way to safely use a “dumb” trickle charger as a maintainer.
Just connect it to a household timer (that turns your lights on and off when away) and set it to operate one hour per day.

1 Like

In all the various replies I still am wondering, is my habit of taking a non-stop 30-35 mile drive every week or two sufficient distance to keep the car battery in good shape???

1 Like

Didn’t you watch the video I posted?

Tester

@Tester I’m not seeing any link for a video in any of the posts. I am reading and posting from an android phone. Can you please repost the video link? I want to view it. ( Ah, the joys of cyber technology some days. :roll_eyes:)

IMHO, yes.

2 Likes

Here it is.

Tester

1 Like

@Tester Thank you, sir! The video shows for me this time. Clearly answers my question. :+1: I’ve shared the video and another one from the website about sanitizing cars with family and friends.

I’ve been doing what is recommended in driving duration, including highway speed, so shall continue the habit.

@shanonia Thank you for your answer too.

Thanks everyone!

I’ll add to an earlier suggestion. The covid virus has drawn our neighborhood closer. Find a neighbor with a trickle charger and let them help. A battery charger with an ammeter would be great.

One thing you can easily do is monitor the battery voltage before and after starting the engine.
I have a meter, shown below.
I can see the battery voltage before starting; also how the alternator is charging when running.
I have to turn the key to ACC, so the radio etc. put on a drain and lowers the battery ~0.2V, so I know the battery is happy at 12.4V or above before starting.
When the alternator is charging ~13-14.5V.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9IKYVH

1 Like

See the Pat Goss video posted on this thread; He advise driving 20 to 30 minutes at highway speed, weekly. I would take his advice.

Goss in the video advises not to use a trickle charger.

I believe this was to avoid overcharging. Just take it off sooner. (Money was a problem for the OP.)

I don’t give much heed to Pat “Grouchy” Goss.
He addresses his audience as if they are a bunch of mechanically inept idiots who should never DIY more than checking dipsticks.
I’ll admit a fair portion of them probably are.
He briefly had a radio program. But unlike Click and Clack, he spent much of his time scolding callers for not making maintenance of their vehicle the top priority in their life.

1 Like