Battery CCA

Dag, I have no data to back me, but I suspect the average used Toyota truck knows exactly what he’s getting and what to look for more than most. A fair price, honesty, and candor seal the deal. The offer to hold the money until the vehicle is picked up make the purchase a “no-brainer”.

A few years back when I gave my old Toyota pickup to my daughter, I went looking for a replacement. I was unsuccessful. It seems that owners of basic Toyota pickups keep them until they’re no longer serviceable, like I did with my '79, then have them towed to the boneyard. Or they give them to their next generation, like I did with my '89. Toyota pickup owners seem to buy them for the long haul. Like me, most of them are unimpressed with the bells and whistles that new models often offer.

@‌same
Toyota trucks change once every ten to eleven years. The 2005 looks and operate, except for minor changes, exactly like my 2015 . I sold my 04 4 Runner to a couple and the wife had a 2013 which she did not like. She had a 2003 and got the 2013 ten years later. Now, she bought mine and going back again ten years. She has no fear she can get several more productive years out of it. I know of few people who have that kind of brand loyalty and would move from a 2013 to a 2004. In some of the minds of T truck owners, the only thing that holds it’s age better ( other then rust issues) is a B52. So you are absolutely right.

There are some T truck owners who actually, like you said, prefer older models…the older the better.i have to say, the off road features are simply awesome.

Still, only the recent of the newer generation model has the electronic limited slips that is every bit is as good as the mecanical one I had years ago. The advantage is, it has this electronic for quick on road use but when things get really dicy, you can engage the mechanical locking rear differential. At one point, with a another button, you can engage both front and rear diffs in limited slip mode in low range. It is the best off roader I have ever had. But the ride on highways leaves a little to be desired. :wink: that’s true with all of them. They keep improving them yearly in subtle mechanical ways while leaving the gliz to others.

Looking forward to the new gen being demoed at the Detroit auto show in January. The wife does not want to hear…I like the 2016 s.

" I never replace a battery until it shows signs of failing."

That used to be my standard practice also–until the OEM battery in my '86 Taurus went totally dead after just 4 years. The car had been starting normally, there had been no strange electronic glitches, and the lights were as bright as ever as I drove home from work, but when I went back out to the car about 3 hours later in order to attend an evening meeting, it was as dead as the proverbial door nail, and I had the embarrassment of not being able to attend that meeting.

After that one experience of…normal and then dead…I began doing load tests after 3 years, and at the first sign of less than optimum capacity, now I replace my battery. Others may have different values, but to me it is worthwhile to spend the money for a new battery…perhaps…1 to 1 1/2 years early, rather than risk winding up stranded and needing roadside assistance.

I completely agree. I don’t think anyone is arguing to keep a battery of it does not test well. Like my day always said…"batteries don’t get better on their own. "
If it’s fully charged, you have seen them at their best the first time you use one.

Yeah I had that experience too at the A&W. Nice shiny 4-5 year old Olds at the drive in. Dead battery. Had to have the tow truck come with everybody looking at you. Wife questioned my mechanical ability. Makes you gun shy of bad batteries.

@Bing‌
Your wife is mistaken to. There are times when there is nothing you can do about a failed battery that appears fine one day and fails the next. The problem I had was with the cars the other family members drove when they would not tell me of problems. I remember when my daughter had a starting problem with the kid’s car and I asked her if this was the first time. “No dad” she said, " it’s been doing it all winter." After this an other episodes, we swapped cars regularly. Of course the kids didn’t mind on days when I “made” them drive my wife’s new Accord when I drove their ratty old Corolla… Kids were smarter then I gave then credit for, or I was even dumber then I thought.

I can’t prove my theory, but I think that no-maintenance “sealed” batteries are more prone to sudden death than “conventional” batteries.