Bad oil change experience? I think so

Reminds me of that old joke, your FIL story …
Plantation Owner give his head foreman Remus a Christmas a quart of whiskey, who graciously accepts.
Come New Year’s Owner askes Remus if he enjoyed that whiskey.
Remus: well, boss it was just right
Owner: what do you mean, Remus? … puzzled
Remus: well, sir … if it had been any better
you wouldn’t have given it to me and
if it had been any worse,
I couldn’t have drunk it !!

That said, my local honest mechanic got me switched over to 1/2 synthetic, same oil/filter change + fluids check (also wipers, etc.) same price as reg. oil long ago. Now I go once/year in my 1999 & 2001 since they are driven seldom and short distances, e.g. less than 60k miles on the '99. If it gets extra hot in Texas summer, I simply add reg. oil as per mfr. specs. This occurs once every 2 years only in the '99.

2 Likes

@Carboncrank well after a few days of running on 91 premium gas I haven’t gotten any more pinging or rattling like before.

A Crown Vic should not require high-octane gas, so this suggests that its maintenance is not up-to-date (spark plugs, EGR), or that there are carbon deposits in the combustion chambers, or that it is running too hot, or…
:thinking:

1 Like

@VDCdriver

Haha yeah I know it’s probably something else and I plan on getting an answer on Wednesday. But it’s intersting going on over to crownvic.net you see a lot of owners of these panthers who find that pinging is common for Them on their cars on 87 octane and they’ve found higher octane to work. So who knows.

I had pinging years ago in a Chevy Cavalier. It went away with Premium. I used Marvel Mystery Oil in regular gas and after a few tanks full it no longer pinged. I think it helps soften and expel carbon buildup.

if you look back, that’s what I told him in great detail.

did you read what I wrote about engine oil? It starts talking about viscosity modifiers.

Motor is not a product, It’s a marketing device.

There is no mytery in mystery oil. an airplane crashed because somebody had put Marvel Mystery Oil in one of the gas tanks. The point is not that the guy was an idiot put it in with the fuel the point is that because it was NTSB investigation they did a scientific analysis of the Marvel Mystery Oil. There’s no mystery to it this report gives in detail what’s in Marvel Mystery Oil. This product or anecdotal. They have no basis in science, no basis and study and it was such great stuff manufacturers would tell you to put it in your car. It’s a marketing device intended it to separate a certain kind of Gearhead from their money.

NTSB plane crash investigation

“The contents of Marvel Mystery Oil were 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.” plus some coloring, and I’m serious here, some perfume.

Interesting that the NTSB points out that fuel additives are not recommended according to Lycoming.

Lycoming made the engines in my Piper Seneca. I’ve been using Alcor TCP fuel additive (to help fight plug fouling from the lead in 100 octane “low lead”) for decades, with no problem.

Of all types of evidence, anecdotal evidence is at the bottom of the pile. Late night television is full of Medicine Show products that are sold by trotting out a few people who swear how great is and then show people who speak in believable tones while wearing a white lab coat. Sometimes Thy claim it’s been “studied” but never tell you where you can see the study for yourself or they’ll claim a study that’s not a study. But mostly they just trot out people to talk about how great it works from them. It’s Often not clear whether those people were paid to say it or not. But anecdotal evidence is the least valuable kind. But hey, it’s been a living for Medicine Show Barker’s in a tradition that’s hundreds of years old.

Someone misused the product causing a plane crash. But I think the greater truth was finding out just what’s in it. There is no mystery ingredient in it. Since it does no harm, unless misused, gear heads who’ve fallen for the marketing campaign credit it for CAUSING bad things not to happen.

Product is designed 2 be harmless. So it seems to be some weird part of human nature that when you don’t have a problem, you credit the additive for the fact that had no problem. The absence of evidence is not evidence.

If I were you, I wouldn’t try to outsmart the lycoming engineers.

I’d say Lycoming are Continental are really great engine builders. They make some really bulletproof stuff. You stick to the routine maintenance and the recommended overhaul In your Piper Seneca (which is a very cool airplane) you’d have to do something really stupid to break it .It’s trouble-free in spite of the additive, not because of it.

If you were lead fouling plugs, you should have called lycoming or talked to whoever does you’re overhauls. In engines in general, and most especially aircraft engines you don’t want to do something that might be masking a larger problem.

Here is what is in your additive.

Toluene
Petroleum Distillate
Tricresyl Phosphate
Isopropyl alcohol

Toluene is used to raise the octane level. Why do you need to raise the octane level 100 octane fuel above that on an engine with that has a 8.5 to 1 compression ration was made to run on 91/96 octane? You know running high octane fuel in a low compression engine give no power increase, right? (we can talk about octane if you like)

your lead scavenger.

Petroleum Distillate

Tricresyl Phosphate Is your lead scavenger. Not sure why you need one on a 180 HP engine wtih an 8.5 to 1 compression ration that will run on 91/96 fuel. Do you have an exhaust gas or cylinder head temp gauge? Again, you shouldn’t need a LED scavenger. LED fouled spark plugs are not a normal condition. I would worry that a scavenger intended to keep let off spark plugs but also keep it off of the valves negating the reason to have it in the fuel in the first place. If you are lead fouling plugs you need to find out why, not add something to the fuel. I shouldn’t have to remind you this is an airplane. The consequences of masking a symptom in your automobile until something fails is completely different then the consequence of an airplane engine Failing.

I had a friend killed when his Cessna cardinal dropped an exhaust valve while doing a Full Throttle spiraling climb out of Lake Tahoe Airport at night. He had added an AIR research turbo to that engine to make flying above the Sierra Nevada and other hight western mountains easier on the engine. But it ran hot at full throttle. I had noticed and pointed out to him how close to the red one cylinder was when I was on a different trip with him across the Sierra Nevada mountains, on a moonless night. I was lucky to have not been in the airplane that night he lost his life (and that of his daughter and his daughters fiancee) as flying from San Jose to Lake Tahoe, or Reno, or Carson City, so Harold could play Blackjack and we could have a good steak, was a fairly common occurrence and he always brought company with him.

I would go with what Lycoming says. What they say comes from their engineers. Don’t try to outsmart engineers that have been designing such great engines for so long. Call them up if you have to. Have the conversation. Remember, drop a valve in your car and you end up taking an uber home. Drop one in an aircraft and you are at best in deep do do.

Flying is easy. Landing is hard.

When I say oil is not a product it’s a marketing device I can extend that to oil and gas additives. The mentality that people take it on faith or the fact that their friend said it was good instead of finding out if there’s some neutral party that has data bothers me. But I try not to let it bother me too much because my conclusion is that used as directed those products are basically harmless. They’ve separated the user from their money but they generally aren’t going to hurt their car. Plus I’m a fan of anything that makes you look under the hood more often than you normally would good. So if using a marketing device that appeals to you helps you keep clean oil in the engine oh, that’s a good thing.

But airplane engines, man, be careful

Really? you still think slavery humor is funny?

They push it because they make more money on it. Oil is not a product it’s a marketing device.