Backup Camera

I don t have a problem with the cameras, as long as the mirrors are there too

@insightful.
Pretty cheap for a human life !!! Don’t for get their increased efficiency in parking and that is spread out over all consumers. Now I am even more I favor of it being mandated. Thanks for the info !

As part of a cdl licensing, we were actually required to get out of the vehicle, walk to the back to check for anything, before actually moving in reverse, not like most people did it other than to get the license, I wonder if this would make it not necessary to physically check before putting a vehicle in reverse for cdl standards.

While the cameras sound like overkill I recall that my only ‘accidents’ in recent years have been backing up in the dark exiting from between 2 vehicles at an extreme angle. I should have turned to look out the rear window but relied on the outside rear view mirrors. I will look forward to having the opportunity to back up with a camera to see how much help they are.

I hear you, every now and then it seems like a car appears on the other side of the street as I back out my drive. luckily the street is wide enough that when there is a surprise car, I have not hit it. I told my daughter when giving her driving lessons, cars appear out of nowhere, they still do!

Robert G woulda seen that car a mileaway…

Yeah but @ 120mph one still might not miss it, strange you should bring up the gift, whassup?

lol. I said I was done with that thread, now I can t go back . just kidding barky. I just can t get over that he thinks he can see everything coming at 120mph. sorry to bring it up in a reasonable thread

@wesw no such thing as a reasonable thread, np no apologies necessary, as I was yanking your chain. Cheers! movie reccomendation for you, The Devil’s advocate. pm me if you watch it.

Most cars nowadays have the LCD screen for one reason or another. Adding the camera should be cheap. I believe the number quoted is everything included.
I bought a camera with the wiring for my car for $18, including tax and shipping. Now my car has a simple radio and I have to change that to one with an LCD which is pricy, but could be done with $200, which would include bluetooth and maybe a better radio.

As I recall, when mandated on all cars (2018) the cost to society will be about $20,000,000 per life saved.

What a waste! Of money and lives, too.

If that amount of money was allocated where the bang:buck ratio is MOST favorable, how many lives might it have saved? Well, the “delta” between that number and 1.0 per $20M is the lives LOST (that might otherwise have been saved) if the funds had been allocated most effectively.

Remember, there is a finite amount of money available to be devoted to safety-related stuff (i.e. scarcity). Every dollar spent on medicore safety-related technology means a dollar less available for really good safety-related technology (i.e. opportunity cost).

Heck, what kind of ROI do you think spending $20M on “nut-behind-the-wheel” upgrades would net?

(And dag, $20M is REALLY high valuation for one human life, unless that human is an abnormally high wage-earner. Makes me squeamish, too, but that’s the cold, hard facts.)

This is from the wikipedia page, Value of life. Note that NOBODY values a human life as high as $20M.

The following estimates have been applied to the value of life. The estimates are either for one year of additional life or for the statistical value of a single life.[citation needed]

$50,000 per year of quality life (international standard most private and government-run health insurance plans worldwide use to determine whether to cover a new medical procedure) [5]
$129,000 per year of quality life (based on analysis of kidney dialysis procedures by Stefanos Zenios and colleagues at Stanford Graduate School of Business)[5]
$6.9 million (Environmental Protection Agency)[6]
$7.9 million (Food and Drug Administration)[7]
$6 million (Transportation Department)[7]
$7 million (median value for prime aged workers) [2]

At those prices, you’re getting ripped off, and could undoubtedly strike a better deal elsewhere. As an example, would I take $4mil as payment for successfully “winning” a game of Russian Roulette? In a [redacted] heartbeat!!!

@meanjo75fan Unless I misread what you say, we are not talking about one life but the many lives. Estimated at 58+ per year, but then again if it was your kid behind the car, priceless.

But the lives saved are young children. They generally have a higher value than adults, especially if they are your children.

for 20 million I d go see jesus. I could help alot of family and friends and poor kids for that. my life pretty much sucks now anyway.

Wow…you are “mean”. :wink: $20million spead out over the entire car buying public for each life. This is just an estimate as the things are not in a majority of cars. Can you think of one safety device that we have, that the majority of car buying public would now remove from their cars regardless of the cost per human life ?

High wage earners are more valuable…like David Ortiz and Madonna more valuable then Jonah Salk ? I don’t think that way. A stay at home parent who rears several great kids is more valuable to society then a wealthy Baseball commentator who raises a “murderer” …excuse my choice of examples. Then there is OJ vs …Rush(:wink: and Mother Teresa. They are all worth saving and the value of every human life is infinite and immeasurable. It’s the corporate for profits and the bought politician that devalues human life, hopefully not the ones you love who want your inheritance. But then, I live in a dream world…:wink:

Still in favor of backup cameras as no safety device found it’s way into a car until it became affordable. You will love yours when you get one…meanjoe75fan

Dagosa!!! LOL

Ok Lets crunch some numbers, cost ranges from $43 to $150.
About 17 million new cars sold per year
@$150 x 17 million ea that is 2.5 billion dollars
Each life saved by this math @58 costs $43103448.2759 for one year
So let’s say the life expectancy of a car is 10 years
$4,310,344.83 per year for 10 years for life saved,
And to tell you the truth at $150.00 I like enough to pay for it, then try and calculate in regular accidents, correct my math if needed, but looks reasonable to me. @meanjoe75fan

“Each life saved by this math costs $43103448.2759 for one year”

I don’t see how any of the calculation done after this point is relevant if you’re spending $2.5B/yr to save 58 lives/yr.

The point was that a car is out there for my guess 10 years, so you have to spread the cost for the life cycle of the car per year. Sure does look expensive, but I would willing pay the $150.00 for it, I liked it that much!