Autonomous Semi Tractors

You too? Maybe we should start a class action.

I REALLY hope that you’re not one of the people who believed the incredible amount of misinformation that was floated in the wake of the McDonald’s “hot coffee case”. A lot of people failed to comprehend the actual facts of that case.

No, my thinking was that if the “inventor” of the autonomous car was going to have to pay for accidents then Thomas Edison must be responsible for someone burning their hand on a hot light bulb.

It is showing the fallacy of an Idea by extrapolating it to a ridiculous length to show it’s ultimate consequences.

autonomous machinery ≠ a light bulb

…but nonetheless, if there was an inherent flaw in Edison’s design that made the bulb explode, and Edison continued to receive royalties for that design being mass produced and sold, I could imagine him being targeted in a lawsuit.

Imagine, if you will, how many people might be targeted for litigation in an opioid epidemic, simply because they profited from the misery of others. (It’s actually not all that hard to imagine.)

I NEVER said they would be FORCED to pay for the accidents…They volunteered to pay for the accidents. As I stated before - Insurance companies want this…their models show far less payouts from autonomous vehicles then with the general driving public. I’m all for autonomous vehicles to get the drunks and texters off the road.

Let’s explore this for a second. Yes…people have burnt their hands on light-bulbs…but how many people were KILLED from fires started by gas lights?

You can say the same thing about cars when they were introduced…They are a polluting machine, noisy and adds a lot of volume to our dumps…yet in big cities the cars/trucks displaced a bigger mess - Horses. Over 2 thousand tons of manure and urine were dumped in NYC streets every day. Over 300 horses a day dropped dead in NYC every day. Introduced a problem to replace a worse problem.

I’ll live with the accidents from autonomous vehicles every year as compared to the 100 times more accidents every year from people.

Just yesterday, this tragic accident took place in my county.
In addition to the driver of the 18-wheeler mowing-down this pedestrian, the victim was then run-over by the driver of a Hyundai sedan.

:worried:

Seems like people don’t want LESS accidents…they just want those accidents to be committed by a human instead of a machine. 100 people killed by human drivers is better then 1 person killed by an autonomous vehicle.

I am not against the self driving car, If someone made one today that did not require a driver behind the wheel, I would buy it.

I don’t know if any car can be said to have an “inventor” who would pay for accidents and if a company is going to pay fot accidents, the cost would be paid by the shareholders or owner of the company.

As stated earlier…that’s the last step. It’s needs to be proven safe before there is no driver.

We already have autonomous features in cars today…crash detection, lane departure, backup braking.

1 Like