Autonomous Semi Tractors

Well it did seem like such a logical place to begin development of autonomous control of a means of transport.

One drawback to autonomous control is that missiles and rockets have a fail safe in case of emergencies. It’s a detonator and an explosive charge. That’s not very reassuring.

1 Like

Less then a 5 second search.

As I’ve stated many times in this forum…Autonomous vehicle technology is changing by the day. The technology is evolving extremely fast, but still has a ways to go. Because some companies have had issues NOW…doesn’t mean they aren’t solvable. The autonomous vehicle today is easily 10 times better then it was just 5 years ago.

1 Like

The unattended GoA4 systems are almost entirely short, captive systems used to transport people around airports. The ones I’m familiar with are raised or underground railways. There are significantly fewer chances that something will go wrong and cause an accident than in city subway systems, let alone intercity commerce, like Amtrak. Just look at the problems DC had in the last few years with fires and other accidents on the Metro system.

seems like a bad idea to me

In my opinion, you need somebody in the cab who can see and hear things the “remote operator” can’t possibly be aware of

3 Likes

If you have that operator in the cab, there is no reason for him not to be driving that truck. Why pay for him and AI technology too? Thrucking companies are interested in self driving trucks to save paying wages and that is the only reason.

I had the terminal manager of a large coast to coast trucking company that, we (Road drivers) ,were a drain on the company because we were their biggest expense. Of course we are your biggest expense, if we don’t move the freight, you have no income. If all the terminal managers stayed home for a week, no one would even notice.

5 Likes

He’ll only be there until it’s deemed necessary he/she won’t be needed anymore.

Looks like their at state 3 o 4.

1 Like

I agree completely. I was more interested in his take on the investors.

The question is, how big is the gap between stage 4 and 5. How many accidents will we tolerate and who will pay for them?

It will be hard to have self driving trucks, if no one will insure them. I worked for one company that self insured but the waited until they had 2000 trucks.

2 Likes

There are also makeup patterns (do a search) that disable facial recognition software.

I can see “unexpected” events-- like a downed tree, or even a (live) downed power line, as “do not compute” problems.

1 Like

The gap is well defined by IEEE and SAE.

I believe that we are now well past the tolerance rate of drunk drivers or drivers who are texting.

As stated several times before in this forum so far the inventors of the autonomous vehicles have said they’ll step up and pay for all accidents.

Insurance companies are investing in this technology because based on their own data autonomous vehicles will cost them far less money from reduced accidents when compared to the driving public.

The inventors of the autonomous vehicles may be paying for accidents now (I don’t know if that is true or not) but they certainly won’t be if they go into production.

Also, who knows how juries will feel about accidents caused by releasing faulty technology rather than (understandable) human error.

3 Likes

All these self driving trucks and vehicles are just TERRORIST Tools. Hack these vehicles and load them with bombs and other explosive or say a gasoline tanker … do it to about 50 to 100 different vehicles and send them to our largest populated cities for destruction.

All Vehicles should have a steering wheel, brakes and a human in control of them.

These vehicles are about as safe as the ability of keeping spam off my computer.
They need to be strongly regulated and mandated to have a human in the cab.

Heck, my push button key fob has to be kept in a Faraday cage for safety.

Why are we giving tools to our enemies to kill us?

Do you keep your tin foil hat in a Faraday cage also?

5 Likes

I think it is a legitimate concern. We did not think we had to protect airplanes until Osama Bin Ladin showed us otherwise.

I take it you don’t know what a 256 bit encryption is. Given enough computer power and time it can be hacked. But based on the fastest super computers today it’ll take well over 2 billion years to hack. So in essence it’s can’t be hacked.

It would be far easier to find 50 truckers…kidnap their families and tell them to drive the trucks with bombs in them. Or get 50 suicide bombers and teach them how to drive a truck. Far easier then teaching them how to fly.

Sorry, but you have no idea what you’re talking about.

5 Likes

This proposed new rule applies to just self-driving cars, but we may get to the point where no self-driving vehicles have a steering wheel.

citation needed 2

seems a little crazy

3 Likes

I need a citation to say I don’t Know something? Or do I need a citation to believe that the inventors, not even the producers or sellers of self driving cars are not going to pay for accidents once you buy the car?

I think I will sue Thomas Edison because I burned my hand on a hot light bulb.

1 Like