Autonomous cars are much more expensive then non autonomous cars

It’s very high. One estimate I read said that over 10% of drivers on the road between midnight and 6am. That’s absurd.

Already have:

The statistically safest form of transportation flies itself for as much as 80 percent of a given flight. Yet there’s always two human agents sitting in the foremost pair of seats of that aircraft.

And yet so many on here think that’s not necessary in an AV that travels along the ground among other ground vehicles, as well as two-wheeled riders, pedestrians, kids chasing b a l l s (seriously CarTalk?!) into the street, inclement weather and road conditions, flooding, ice, snow, ad infinitum?

Talk about educating ourselves…

Many years ago, I knew someone who said that “after 2AM, it’s only d r u n k s and d r u g g i e s on the roads”. (spacing utilized because of my use of “bad” words)

Bad analogy. Airplanes are not in traffic when the autopilot is enabled. That’s analogous to driving on a deserted four lane highway.

jt:

My point was: A whole lot more can happen in the environment in which these blessed AVs operate than could happen between 10-40,000ft with a commercial airliner, yet a human presence is mandated at the controls of the latter, but seems unnecessary for the former, according to many of you here?

And someone in that drivers seat should be mandated, to take over if/when the s c h i t t hits the fan, on that deserted highway or at the intersection of Fifth and 47th.

You’ve PROVEN in this forum many times you have NOT educated yourself. You constantly give comments on topics you know NOTHING about and called out on you your bullsh*t too many to count.

That proves NOTHING. Nice try.

Please show me ANY manufacturer that has a vehicle at Level 5. ANY car, anywhere in the world. As pointed out earlier, you are complaining about a problem that doesn’t exist. Make up ■■■■ that can’t happen TODAY.

As stated - You are NOT educated or you would know that. And you obviously don’t.

I think a new non self driving car is cheaper than a driver aided self driving car. I mean, what’s the point then?
So, waymo will have a non driverless car dept? In addition to driverless car division?
Will they buy trailers for their Tesla cars to haul generators too?
I think using a trailer to haul an extra battery pack would be better.

Humans monitoring automated vehicles has shown to be ineffective. It is a Catch-22 because the human becomes conditioned to the vehicle generally not making any mistakes. The human cannot maintain the required alertness to detect an error during the monotony of watching the vehicle perform such a mundane task. If the vehicle eventually does make a mistake, the human is not capable of reacting in time - the human had already fallen asleep or resorted to some other distracting activity to entertain themself during the preceding monotony.

Sorry, I know I’m late to the party here, but as a resident of Minneapolis, I am happy with this restriction; I think it’s always good when our city council listens to citizens.

For folks who are opposed to Minneapolis’ regulations: how has an unregulated Waymo service worked out in your city?

I am not in favor or against the the requierment.

In my area, when a driverless car is involved in an accident the headlines read “Another driverless car involved in a crash”. Buried in the story; an impaired or inattentive driver crashed into the driverless car.

I am very close to having ti give up my license. That means giving up my freedom and spontanaity. I would gladly pay $200,000 for a true self driving car. None exists yet because they have not even started trying them in bad weather and the liability questions have to be addressed as well as all the state laws. Never going to happen in time to help me.

I think it will happen with tractor trailers running over southern routes first because ther is a great economic benefit to eliminate drivers between cities or terminals but local drivers would still be needed.

There is no public transportation where I live but I will not willingly move. I will depend on my daughters who live close and uber when I have to and get Walmart+.

They are already testing them in bad weather.

The liability question has been answered. When and if available, if the Wayno car is at fault they will cover ALL COSTS.

State laws will vary. However there is a standard from SAE on how autonomous vehicles will operate. All states just need to follow the standard.

Really? How? A family can buy just ONE autonomous vehicle instead of 2 different vehicles. Most of the time a car just sits. This isn’t rocket science.

Why would that be needed? When the autonomous vehicle is low on charge it just goes charge itself. Not a hard concept. It wouldn’t be sent out for a service if it wasn’t charged enough. Many of today’s EV vehicles can easily get over 300 miles on a charge. Very few taxis will put that many miles on in a day.

A Chevy trax is $22k. Let me know when a new waymo is less then $22k

+1

Recently, a guy carefully drove his Audi A6 Etron across Poland, and although the mfr rates that model’s range as 483 miles, he was able to wring 831 miles from a single charge.

Lucid’s various models have battery ranges from a low of 420 miles to as high as 520 miles.

That is not a valid comparison for a Waymo or any driverless vehicle. The deciding points will be if the Auto driving vehicle meets a persons needs at a price they can accept. No gas station trips, no oil changes needed and ease of recharging the vehicle.

Some people will think of anything they can to make negative statements about driverless vehicles but it is going to happen. I actually hope it is in my future as I will probably be in in a semi-assisted living center someday and will not be driving myself to Doctor’s or medical facilities.

Plus, brake pads that will likely not need to be replaced until 100k miles… or more.

I said a non autonomous car is a fraction of what any autonomous costs.
Autonomous does not mean electric or gas specifically. Either has to be refueled.
You can buy 5 non auto cars for what one auto car costs.
Someone said otherwise

Please show me ONE autonomous level 5 you can buy TODAY.

Best you can get is Level 3. No level 5 (true autonomous vehicle is available yet). At level 3 you can buy a Subaru Impreza for under $30,000. You can buy a Tesla 3 for under $40,000. Both are SAE level 3 autonomous level.

Try google sometime.

How can one Subaru or Tesla take the place of two other vehicles? There needs to be a person in the driver’s seat.