Automatic transmission

I have a 2003 Stratus Sedan. 2 days ago it starting jerking when down shifting. It always happens at the speed of 30m/h and it only happens when I’m slowing down. Apart from the one time jerk at 30m/h the car is fine. Any idea?

Thanks, S.

First, you need to tell us:

Is the fluid level of the transmission normal?
What color is the fluid on the dipstick?
Does the fluid have a burnt odor?
How many miles are on the odometer?
When did you last change the transmission fluid (and filter, if so equipped)?

Transmission fluid is fine, everything looks like it’s supposed to.
Could it be anything else then the transmission?
Thx, S.

How many miles are on the odometer?
When did you last change the transmission fluid (and filter, if so equipped)?

What color is the fluid on the dipstick? “Transmission fluid is fine” is not an answer to this question. Direct answers to direct questions will help us help you.

There have been several posts asking questions about a jerk on down shift from overdrive with no other noticeable problems. Is the Check Engine Light ‘on’? Is the Over Drive light continuously ‘on’ or flashing?

If you want to address this problem further, have a transmission technician scan the Transmission Control Module for trouble codes and ‘clutch volume’ numbers. So far noone has posted back with scan information on this problem. I would be interested to see if there is a trouble code and if the ‘underdrive clutch volume’ number is out of range. So post back further progress on this problem.

Maybe transmission guru Transman618 will reply with information on this problem.

Check for codes first, this sounds like a limp mode situation. When you slow down to a stop and you feel the clunking, does it start back up in 1st gear from the stop??

transman