Automatic transmission, won't shift gears

Good point CSA, if the vehicle speed properly tracks the engine rpms, the transmission clutches are not slipping. It’s the situation where the engine rpm goes up but the vehicle speed remains the same or slows down you start to think the clutches may be slipping.

The transmission is in limp mode, loss of prime can cause that but since the fluid level is correct that is not the problem. The fault set could be due to a sensor failure or a mechanical failure in the transmission.

The fluid leak and smoke may be of some concern, I saw two fiery crashes watching NASCAR today.

Turns out I’m a moron and put too much motor oil in the car. Apparently the transmission was “flooded” or getting “fogged out” or some business.

Can you clarify this for us?
Did you add more oil to the engine w/o draining the old oil?
Or
Did you add the motor oil to the transmission?

I can’t imagine that your transmission was “flooded” unless you added the motor oil to the trans, and if that is the case, then you have… MAJOR… transmission problems in your immediate future.
Can you please clarify the situation for us?

I put the oil where it was supposed to be. At the time I didn’t even know where the atf went. I checked the oil and it read low, and I had a persistent rattling that I thought was related. I added oil until it read full but apparently I messed up somewhere down the line because they said it was like 3 quarts. The rattling was a loose harness for a sensor and unrelated

It was 3 quarts low or 3 quarts present ??

What has this to do with the transmission? they are totally separate as to oil.

1 Like

yeah I’m a little confused too. Motor oil, transmission fluid, won’t shift? I think its time to take it to a shop but a trans overhaul could be in your future.

1 Like

I’ll try to be more clear. It’s been fixed already. The mechanic said it was because I had put too much motor oil in. The motor oil was in the right tank. The work order says they drained the excess oil and then the car started shifting properly

I don’t see how over filling the engine oil can cause transmission problems.

1 Like

OP may be confusing the term “transmission fluid” with “motor oil”. “Motor oil” is what goes in the engine crankcase and lubricates and cools the engine. “Transmission fluid” is a different type of fluid and is what goes into the transmission pan, and performs a hydraulic pressure function as well as cooling and lubrication. The two are not compatible, it’s an apples and oranges thing. To avoid confusion when talking to your mechanic, suggest to refer to the product you poured into the transmission as “transmission fluid”. Show your mechanic the bottle you used, so they can verify you used the correct spec of fluid for your transmission. Modern automatic transmission can be difficult to fill correctly for the diy’er. You aren’t alone in having this problem. As you’ve discovered, modern automatics aren’t fond of being filled to the wrong level. I doubt any harm was done tho. Best of luck!

It was motor oil. Not atf. Motor oil. Went in to the motor oil tank. Overfilled it by a few quarts (don’t know when or how long it’s been this way but the dipstick is the wrong length). I don’t really understand how it affected the transmission either but according to the guy at AAMCO, all they did was remove the excess motor oil (again, not the atf) and the car successfully shifted in to that final gear that wasn’t catching before. The atf was never touched by myself or the mechanic. If you’d like I can post a copy of the work order that says the same.

Possibly it was overfilled to a point where the oil came in contact with the crankshaft causing the oil to aerate and resulting in low oil pressure because the oil pump can’t pump enough oil through the engine. The car goes into limp mode. That would explain the rpm going up when OP hit the gas but transmission refused to shift.

1 Like

I’m not doubting what you are saying OP. You tend to use terms which aren’t commonly used here is all, like “motor oil tank” rather than “crankcase” which I thought might be creating some confusion. But if all that happened is you over-filled the crankcase with motor oil, I suppose that might affect the transmission function in a round about way, as described above by @kurtwm2010 .

Just trying to be extra clear haha. A LOT of people are suggesting that the oil and atf got mixed up and that definitely wasn’t the case.

Do you now have the correct dipstick or at least has it been marked at the actual full mark. I guess you will now check it weekly when engine is cold.

I don’t yet, but the dipstick doesn’t reach the bottom of the tank or whatever. I’m not super fluent in car stuff, obviously. There’s a Hyundai dealer with a service shop by my house, I’m gonna swing by Monday and see if they have it or at least know which replacements they suggest.

It should not reach the bottom of the crankcase. Talk to whoever put your oil level where it should be or at least check it now and see what it shows. Having the wrong dipstick is rare.

Now this is truly astounding. It has to be the first time that AAMCO did not overhaul a transmission for anything. Their nick name is All Automatics Must Come Out. Possibly, it;s a long shot, but sometimes for the final gear to be shifted into, it needs to be at operating temp. If the oil was too high, possibly it never got to operating temp and wouldn’t have allowed shifting into the final gear.